If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Will I lose my PIP if I need to move out to uni/control own money?

EstravenEstraven Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello. I've got the possibility of being able to move to student accommodation next to my new university where I will be doing a research masters. It would be much better for my health than commuting over two hours each day I'm in.  I get the high care and mobility rate of PIP due to both physical chronic illnesses, mental illnesses and developmental conditions like ASD. One of my parents has received my PIP(Previously DLA) on behalf of me since I first received it at about 13. If I was to move out and then consequently need to take control of it myself could i potentially lose my PIP?I would be unable to pay for anything besides my flat rent if I lost it and consequently couldn't move out. I get ESA right now ,but that will stop when I start university. Really unsure how and if I can move out if this happens. 


  • MisscleoMisscleo Member Posts: 646 Pioneering
    Try asking your umi on line what would happen.
    They must of had it happen before so they should be able to give you a complete answer 
  • GeoarkGeoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,375 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @sibylvane

    A lot will depend on if you are going to be doing things that you were assessed as not being able to do. If you have the points you were given for each criteria you can compare what you were awarded for and if living away from home is going to change those.

    I would strongly recommend you get independent advice though, regarding what you may be entitled to. CAB for example, but also you might want to call the Scope help line or email them. They are good at finding out information and what may be available to you while doing your studies.

    I hope you get thigs sorted out.

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • floraflora Member Posts: 8 Connected
    If you are receiving pip and going to uni you will be able to apply for disabled student allowance (dsa). You don’t get actual money, but you will have a disabled student assessment and funding is provided for any support you need. This can include everything from special equipment to a scribe to take your lecture notes. So if you need help planning your work, understanding your timetable and navigating your way around the university, the funding would be provided for someone to support you in this.  The great thing with this is that you are still receiving the support required in your pip descriptors 

Sign in or join us to comment.