my pip assesment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

my pip assesment

ricky1040
ricky1040 Community member Posts: 121 Pioneering
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hey all im ricky. I became disabled about 5 years ago and had been recieving Dla middle personal care and low rate mobility. However my condition has considerable worsened and i was advised i would likely recieve additional money on PIP. 

I was dubious but applied early anyways as i knew it was coming anyways. I have heard all the horror stories and even have close friends who have been very emotional damaged by the assesment experience. But i guess i have been..... Lucky. 

My assessor came to my home as i cant travel alone now and was really really pleasent and nice. She explained everything really well too. I didnt as far as i could tell pick up on any attempts to trick me or twist things. Maybe the report will change my view but i did feel on first impressions that it went very well. Fingers crossed as i wait for my decision. Had to leave my job after 10 years recently so moneys a bit low and thia would help. 

Anyone else had a good experience?? Or even anyone had a seemingly good experience and then been dissapointed by the result. Its pretty scary knowing how much this will affect things. 

I want to say though how sorry i am that some of you peeps seem to have been so badly treated and hope you are ok. Dont accept it and keep up the fight.  Especially those of tou with mental issues like depression. Whilst i am not depressed now and claim on different grounds i have had depression in the past and its a tough tough thing. Keep the chin up and i guess we in this together so chat away here. 

peace everyone

ricky

Comments

• Zebra88
    Zebra88 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    My first assessment was fine... the assessor was really nice and there were no problems whatsoever. I never asked for a copy of the report as I didn't need it at the time. I've just got a copy of it from two years ago and can't find fault with it. My most recent one has put me on edge though hence being up at 4am worrying. I always tell people about my experience last time as it's not always bad. Good luck to you.
  • ricky1040
    Yea i guess i wanted to try and put people at ease a little as i had myself freaking out about it because of the horror stories. i didnt get a face to face first time as medical evidence was deem enough. Can j ask what put you on edge ? Only if you want to share. Like they ask things that you though where trying to twist the truth or what?

either way good luck back at you. nice to know we arent alone i. this eh. 
  • ricky1040
    read you post zeb and replied there. so sorry. 
  • GizmoTiddles
    GizmoTiddles Community member Posts: 159 Pioneering
    There is light at the end of the tunnel @ricky1040 I hope yours ,like mine will be a good outcome 
    Gizmo
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi ricky1040
    My assessment went fine also.My assessor was very good and explained everything to put me at ease.I didn’t ask for his report but when the award notice came I found it to be accurate and fair.
    Try not to worry too much as much of the time they do get it right,it’s only when things go wrong that we hear of it.Good luck.
      Debsidoo.x
  • Dingbat
    Dingbat Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Hi @ricky1040 So glad to hear you had a positive experience of your assessment.  I had a good one also.  The woman had a trainee with her and I felt it all went very well.  She seemed supportive and helpful and was reading out aloud what she was writing in her report.  

I think that a lot of people have good interviews yet when they receive the report back its totally different to what was said to them.  I have not had my report back as yet and not heard the outcome of the assessment, but fingers crossed that it will reflect what was said at the time.
  • ricky1040
    yea she just seemed genuine and interested and attentive so i am hoping either way it just accurately shows what i have said. if it is accurate ill be happy enough that i was treated fairly. I also took the self test immediately afterwards to see how many points i may get. i got 11 care and 14 mobility. but i was being quite conservative and trying to put myself in the ladies position. Lol totally overthinking it all i think. what will be will be. just really feel bad for the people who are genuinly in need and being made to feel bad. hope the scammers out there are ashamed of themselves. 
  • ricky1040
    thanks for the well wishes guys and gals. did anyone else take the self assesment test? and did it accurately reflect your outcome from the assesment. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    ricky1040 said:
    thanks for the well wishes guys and gals. did anyone else take the self assesment test? and did it accurately reflect your outcome from the assesment. 
    In my case the initial outcomes (3 face to face so far since 2013), did not match the self test at all. However following the MR for the first 2, the revised decisions matched exactly what the self test showed (enhanced mobility & care).

No idea what the revision for the 3rd would have been at Tribunal as I didn't progress the refusal any further than an MR.
  • affii1993
    affii1993 Community member Posts: 103 Courageous
    My first two assessments was great had no issuse, they wore correct and wrote the everything I said down correctly but my recent on January 2018 was downside was mistreated and wrote many lies currently waiting for Tribunal date 
  • ricky1040
    jeez it literally sounds like noone gets it anyway fair at all. 
  • Dingbat
    Dingbat Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    @ricky1040 - think like all benefits Ricky, they seem to be clamping down on everything these days.  However, the amount of people who go to Mandatory Reconsideration and Tribunal and win, they could have saved their selves a lot of money by just awarding it in the first place!  There are a lot of people out there who really need help by applying for PIP and ESA, and although its not a god given right to it, most people who apply would not put themselves through the stress of it.  Here's hoping you are successful on your award :) 
  • ricky1040
    see i kinda went with the thought that if am honest and i have been that itll all work out. but all this just makes me worry. anyways. i will let you all know when i get my award assesment
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @ricky1040 I've had one great assessor, and 5 crappy ones
  • ricky1040
    see pip only in cross over period here in northern ireland. i elected to transition early as my condition had worsened and i was told i should be on higher rate but we will see. 
  • Yadnad
    Dingbat said:
    @ricky1040 - think like all benefits Ricky, they seem to be clamping down on everything these days.  However, the amount of people who go to Mandatory Reconsideration and Tribunal and win, they could have saved their selves a lot of money by just awarding it in the first place!  

But you must factor in the fact that not everyone who has the wrong decision actually goes as far as a Tribunal. Like myself, I had an MR which didn't change the original decision and I didn't progress it any further than that.

Taking it to appeal is extremely stressful and with the cuts in getting good advice being the norm, you are on your own to handle the appeal.
  • ricky1040
    yea im lucky in a sense that my disability doesnt efrect my mental ability so i could fight it etc but what about those that cant. have reiterate tho that my accessor appears to be the exception and was lovely and allowed me to amswer fully. but i will reserve judgement till i see the report.  

hey all how long did you have to wait for tour decisions??
  • leannemich
    leannemich Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    edited May 2018
    My first PIP assessment in 2014 went great as I took a representative from debRa the charity for the disability I have, I got awarded high rate mobility and nothing for care so I just carried on and just took what I was given, I had a review in October 2016 and went to the assessment on my own and it was all full of lies and got turned down PIP and had to hand my mobility car back. I re applied in February this year and they did a home assessment this time and asked my representative to be there for me again as my last assessment was shambles and she did, the assessor was lovely, there was no lies and everything she wrote was exactly what was said, she give me 12 points for mobility and 18 for care and put that I do not need to be reviewed.
     I have now been awarded enhanced rate both for an ongoing period (until March 2029) and I go to pick up my mobility car on Thursday (which I cannot wait for ha ha)
    they’re not all bad, I’ve had two good and one bad so I’ve experienced both sides of the assessments :)
  • Yadnad
    edited May 2018
    Not fighting for what you are entitled to is exactly what the government wants and is why claiming for benefits is harder.

It may well suit the government for people to not challenge a decision but this can only be because it will save the money that should in all reality be mine.
    I can't see why it should make it harder for others to make a claim.

The government in all reasonability actually owe me a great deal more than the £150 PIP or so a week. They owe and have admitted it to me, over £20,000 plus interest for an IIDB claim plus a further 7 years of DLA (HRC & HRM) both because they closed down the ongoing cases in early 2004 as I could not deal with their correspondence and submit review forms for both as I was at the time in HDU/hospital inpatient for many months followed by over 6 years of recovery..

I didn't have the strength to fight those then and I don't have the strength to fight this PIP claim now.
  • Yadnad
    My first PIP assessment in 2014 went great as I took a representative from debRa the charity for the disability I have, I got awarded high rate mobility and nothing for care so I just carried on and just took what I was given, I had a review in October 2016 and went to the assessment on my own and it was all full of lies and got turned down PIP and had to hand my mobility car back. I re applied in February this year and they did a home assessment this time and asked my representative to be there for me again as my last assessment was shambles and she did, the assessor was lovely, there was no lies and everything she wrote was exactly what was said, she give me 12 points for mobility and 18 for care and put that I do not need to be reviewed.
     I have now been awarded enhanced rate both for an ongoing period (until March 2029) and I go to pick up my mobility car on Thursday (which I cannot wait for ha ha)
    they’re not all bad, I’ve had two good and one bad so I’ve experienced both sides of the assessments :)

I've had three out of three bad!
    Never had any representation or help for anything which is the norm for most.
    I had to fight to get the first and second decisions reversed at MR - from nothing to Enhanced Care & Mobility. The third once again nothing and at MR they refused it as well.

Some of us are lucky some not so.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.