mobiity aids points & PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

mobiity aids points & PIP

Options
profjohn
profjohn Community member Posts: 2 Listener
 Ive just been  following   the mobility points discussion on     PIP and walking distance thresholds  i was/ am  on  originally   on     high  rate of DLA but my  mobility  allowance   was suspended  when I moved to  living in  france  now I'm back in the UK     I'm  was expecting to have  my    mobility component reinstated   but  DWP tel me NO  I have to  apply for PIP which scares me that  might   lose my DLA & ESA         In relation to waking distance-thresholds.  After a stroke i havehemiplegia left sided  paralysis which means  that  the gross movement of my affected leg/ foot  is very awkward    crude and prone to pain  I can only  walk      get out of my chair  stand  because upon dressing at the start of the day i dress  with / use a clinical  othotic   foot brace [ invisible wearing trousers] which  helps to stop my drop-foot.  if i  get out  of  bed at night   I    struggle without the    orthotic    or    a walking-pole   touching the wall or furniture to walk to the ensuite toilet .  but with the orthotic and my walking pole I can walk more than the     50m    distance  on a smooth surface. but  I wouldn't dream  to try without orthotic due to instability pain   fatigue etc   try to walk    the 50m   without pole or orthotic    on    anything other than smooth indoors    any distance greater than the 50m would be     hugely slower  and more wobbly than an  ' normal person. But even so I worry that with my aids   I   might be deemed  too mobile for PiIP  mobility etc when using my  foot  brace and  walking aid.  what  advice   should  follow with Pip etc?   thank you

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @profjohn

“Welcome back” 

Yes I’m sorry to say that PIP will be replacing DLA eventually.

PIP is completely different to DLA.

Here’s some info for you: 

https://search.scope.org.uk/s/redirect?collection=scope-meta&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fdisabled-people%2Fbenefits%2Fpip&index_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fdisabled-people%2Fbenefits%2Fpip&auth=OdCmUepX8Eu01lD6Q10Fhg&profile=_default&rank=1&query=Pip

You can do a “self test” on our site to see what you could potentially get!!!!!

Please please let me know if I can help/support you with????
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi profjohn and welcome

You are not required to walk pain free but any pain that restricts the distance that you can walk should be taken into account.

Specifically for the Moving Around activity, if you are able to walk but you are in severe pain when doing so, then you can argue that your walking is not to a necessary standard and should be disregarded.

The legal test requires you to stand and then move (walk), so if you have problems getting up then you should document these as well.

If you walk slowly then it must take you at least twice the time to cover the 20m as a healthy person would, this could be down to the speed of your walking but could also be the result of having to stop.

You must be able to repeat the distance, so if you could walk it once but not then be able to walk it again within a reasonable timescale then you should be classed as unable to repeat the activity.

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Cazann
    Cazann Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi.

At my face to face consultation I was asked if I had a high seat on my toilet. I told her that I had a high toilet fitted because of my arthritis but she reported that I had a normal toilet!  Does anyone know if that is classed as an aid? I didn't put it on my application for PIP, as I wasn't sure that it was classed as an aid. Also does anyone know how long would a rest have to be when walking?
    Thank you for any info.

Cazann
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    Options
    I assume any aids should be mentioned in your application. I have a raised toilet seat, a frame around the toilet to help me get on and off the toilet (I have no idea what it’s called!) I have grab rails by the bath and also a shower board to sit on as I struggle to get in and out the bath but standing in a shower leaves me in pain and fatigued. Xx
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Atos put down in her report that I use an aid to use the toilet as I have to lean on the wash basin surround to lever myself up.  

I understand that rest stops between walking stretches should be a few minutes though neither assessor nor tribunal asked me how long  I have to stop for.

Disability Rights UK site (DR) used to state and maybe still does that using aids will get you some points.  So list all the aids you use the in your application and in your 7 day diary.  DR site has a draft diary you can adapt.

I was awarded standard both after assessment and enhanced both at tribunal.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    Options
    @matilda what’s a 7 day diary? Xx
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Diary setting out your daily activities including mobility, problems doing these.  Disabilty Rights site's draft diary shows you how to write your own. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Matilda said:

Disability Rights UK site (DR) used to state and maybe still does that using aids will get you some points.  
    Yes that is still the case but the DWP tried to stop it. Ironically if you have 4 aids then that will give you 8 points. 
    Such as a walking stick, hearing aids, a bath lift and a perching stool.
    The DWP were stopped from bringing in the amendment that aids should only be worth 1 point thus you would never get enough on aids alone for an award.
  • Cazann
    Options
    Hi Yadnad
    Do you know if they will include the use of a high toilet (with seat) as an aid?
    Thank you.
  • Yadnad
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Cazann said:
    Hi Yadnad
    Do you know if they will include the use of a high toilet (with seat) as an aid?
    Thank you.

Yes they should do. However in my case they didn't. The assessor/DWP accepted that whilst I had a whole houseful of aids (2x high toilet seats & frame one for upstairs the other for downstairs, a perching stool in the kitchen, a bed riser/grab rail, electric bath lift and shower seat) they were there out of choice and not out of need. Consequently they were disregarded for points purposes. They did however give me some points but not enough for an award for having to use two hearing aids which were provided by the hospital - I had sent in the paperwork from the audiology dept.
  • Cazann
    Options
    Hi Yadnad
    Thanks for your feedback. What award did you get on PIP?
    I'm waiting for my appeal date but I wrote a letter to the appeal about my assessment and what the assessor wrote on her report that I disagreed with. She asked me what toilet I had and I told her that we'd had a high one fitted, as I have arthritis. But in her report she said that it was a standed toilet! Which made me think that it could be classed as an aid.
    Thanks again.

• Yadnad
    Options
    Cazann said:
    Hi Yadnad
    Thanks for your feedback. What award did you get on PIP?
    I'm waiting for my appeal date but I wrote a letter to the appeal about my assessment and what the assessor wrote on her report that I disagreed with. She asked me what toilet I had and I told her that we'd had a high one fitted, as I have arthritis. But in her report she said that it was a standed toilet! Which made me think that it could be classed as an aid.
    Thanks again.

For the first two assessments (2014 & 2016) I went from no award to enhanced care & mobility for each following an MR.

For the third one (2018) they again decided no award. Asked for an MR as I had done for the previous two and was told this time that the DWP agree entirely with ATOS and no award is due.

After that I gave up. So no award at all now, but thinking of claiming Attendance Allowance depending on how the form has to be filled in and whether I will have to have another face to face assessment. If I do I'll close it down as I'm not being subjected to anymore of their antics.

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    Please consider going to tribunal, Yadnad. 69% of claimants win

• Yadnad
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Waylay said:
    Please consider going to tribunal, Yadnad. 69% of claimants win

Thanks but no, I'm not going to put myself through that torture. Yes I will probably win (as I have done twice before for the same reasons), but I simply cannot face the ordeal. Even winning is not the end of it. At 70 the thought of having to go through this every 24 months for the rest of my life makes me shudder! 

Another poster on here is going through with an appeal - this is what she has said:

joyclyn Posts: 47 Whisperer
    thanks  to all reply  getting nearer date  wish it was over done with regardless   it' been a nightmare months of stress anxiety only God knows the outcome wish I could just  give myself a break  untill I go  but it' like a dark cloud over me  day / night    well as I say just over a week now regardless of the outcome I shall post  and let u know   I have been told if I am refused  to apply for AA don' think I could face any more fighting for my life as this is what it is but feel degraded   begging   oh Im off sorry thanks to all and my best wishes  to anyone  in my position x

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    @Yadnad yeah, I hear you. I just can't survive without it. No choice. 6.5 months into waiting for an appeal date. ?
  • Yadnad
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Waylay said:
    @Yadnad yeah, I hear you. I just can't survive without it. No choice. 6.5 months into waiting for an appeal date. ?

A DLA award is required to cover some of the extra costs of living with a disability, and it is not to be used to top up the general household income.

I asked the DWP years ago about when I would be paid my DLA as money was tight - the above was their answer!

I know what you mean - losing my PIP has seen our total income drop by £195 a week!!!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.