Being on benefits, should that prevent you going on holiday abroad? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Being on benefits, should that prevent you going on holiday abroad?

Options
greatsay
greatsay Community member Posts: 17 Connected
im worried what people will say that’s why I’m reluctant to go on holiday. I don’t want to be thought of as a scrounger. Should I worry what people think?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well look at it from their point of view, they are working hard paying taxes and NI  and their taxes pay yours and mine benefits, so when they see hear of people living on benefits having holidays abroad when they struggle to have a holiday at home or abroad and run a car and ect you can then understand why some people have a go about people living on benefits living a better or good a life as they are and not having paid into, some have and getting this happy go lucky life style. Those claiming benefits because of their disability or from accidents are looked upon as deserving cases they are in the position through no fault of their own. This is  what people have c convade to me since I have became a disabled person over the last two years. Comments like well you have paid in over the last forty years, you didn't go out down the pub every week, you don't smoke, you don't drive a nearly new car, you have had only two holidays abroad while you where working doing a second job to pay for it. Some people live on the edge of poverty by their life style and expect the government, tax payer, DWP, NHS to put it right for them. It can't go on for ever, what's the answer???
  • oldngrumpy
    oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 216 Pioneering
    Options
    I went away for my impending 50th birthday to Australia in October last year for three months.
    And before anybody starts with any snide comments..I have been saving for this for over ten years.
    I had a few people question me re: How I could afford this..
    Simple I live a basic lifestyle. Dont smoke, hardly drink, and hardly go out! So I have earned this once in a lifetime trip. They are mostly jealous. Just go away. Enjoy yourself. You only live once
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am getting to the point of its nobody's business.

If you have a legitimate reason to claim them you do, end of.
    We all know it's not about having paid into the system because, it looks into your contributions for the past two years.

And while I'm on the subject, what's a holiday? That's suggests a break from something. 
    My conditions go where I do!!
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Options
    In this day & age families live all over the place so it’s obvious they want to spend time together and why shouldn’t they? 

Yes there are are people who may resent someone having a hol for whatever reason so if they worry you just keep it to yourself 

Fluctuating symptoms may mean a hol being cancelled so it’s worth checking ins policies well in advance in case a claim needs to be made before/during/after 

All of those who resent others will
    eventually understand when they experience a friend or relative or even themselves suffering from whatever symptoms affecting their quality of life 

wishing those who can make it a happy hol 
  • ricky1040
    ricky1040 Community member Posts: 125 Pioneering
    Options
    its a toughie isnt it. certainly debatable. i guess as long as you arent lying about your condition and you cannot work because of it and you dont have crazy money in the bank already then its fine. i guess most people think how can this person go on a huge trip etc etc. but i guess its dependant on the situation. my best friend libes in scotland and i make the trip twice a year to see her but i need taxis and assistance to make the trip and isually i spend the next day in bed paying for it. but when most times your stuck at home these things can make life more bareable. so as i said as long as you really are disabled and it really causes you to be unable to work and you can make the trip then its noones business but your own. being on benifets isnt a contract to say stop living life. its a benifet to help you live it more independantly when you have a disability and cant afford too and you cant work to support yourself. also many people have worked and paid taxes for decades before being on benifets.  
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I did get asked if I had been abroad in the the last year for my pip claim. Did anyone else? 
    I laughed because I do not own a passport.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.