Partially sighted transport, any financial assistance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Partially sighted transport, any financial assistance?

Options
bordercol
bordercol Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, does anyone have any advice on this please. I am registered partially sighted and therefore do not drive. I have no other needs so am not eligible for PIP or other benefits. I live in a rural area which lost all bus services 2 years ago. The nearest bus routes are 3 miles away but there are no local taxis and it costs £18 each way to get a taxi to come out just to get to a bus route. I have looked at all the community transport options but there is nothing to cover my needs. What I would like is financial assistance to be able to get to a bus when I want to go out and return.
Interested to hear from others in this situation or ideas of where to go for advice on tackling it .

Comments

• bordercol
    bordercol Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    south Oxfordshire 
  • mehrfarbig
    mehrfarbig Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Options
    Have your contacted your council, as some offer taxis allowances? Or you could ask council to move you into a more accessible area? Have you contacted RNIB to see if they have any advice? Do you need to use a cane due to your sight loss? As you may qualify for mobility component of PIP under planning and following journeys if your vision affects your ability to be safe and so on. 
    Sarah

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.