Pip tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip tribunal

Options
JeanieHarmieson107
JeanieHarmieson107 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi any advice? Went to tribunal running later well over a hour and half I was nervous wreck I think panel so see that plus represensive said it was to near so couldn't represent is so I was on me own

Judge mentioned about points could be taken away so judge seen I was in a state she asked if I wanted more time and asked if I needed to get advice told me to go out. When I was called back in she asked if I thought if I needed more time, I think my face said it all cause I was crippled with pain and haven't slept for weeks leading up to it so I agreed, judge says I would get another date but then says for me to sign to ask for medical records saying what my disabilitys and summary from go and documents from hops

what do you think I don't think I could go through that again any advice would be grateful Jean 

Comments

• JeanieHarmieson107
    Options
    Thanks but they had evidence from GPS consultants from hosp so couldn't understand why ask for more and do u mean what information I sent in to get an appeal jean
  • JeanieHarmieson107
    Options
    Could any body advice where I could go or ring to see if I could get another represent ice 
  • JeanieHarmieson107
    Options
    Pip tribunals 
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Options
    If going to a tribunal causes you this much stress you are best to write down your medical problems and how it affects your daily life also get medical reports and send all these to the court and ask for a paper hearing where the tribunal will look at your case and make a decision without you being there,
    You can get help from the citizens advice on how to submit your paperwork
  • NannyG
    NannyG Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Jeanie, I am new here and I just wanted to share my experience of my successful PIP appeal. I've read a lot of threads and visited numerous forums and they all say different things and sometimes this can be confusing to say the least, as you hear horror stories which I can imagine only adds to an already stressed situation. it looks like you will have to go back and do it all again, and this won't take away the stress..do you have a family member that could go with you, also make sure all of your evidence paperwork is in order and get it sent off beforehand. It has been suggested that you write everything down on how you condition/s effect you daily and take it with you so you can read from it. I was all prepared with that but I didn't need it, but you will feel better for having it there.I do wish you the best of luck and try not to worry too much.. :) 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Try to get some f2f advice from CAB or similar.

Disability Rights UK site has a good guide to PIP appeals.  And they publish their own Disability Rights Handbook which has a good section on tribunal appeals. £18.50 from their website or might be available in your local public library reference section.

Tribunals are supposed to be inquisitorial - the panel are there to find out what you can and can't do.
  • Laura99
    Laura99 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Options
    I can sense that you are very, very anxious.

Ask CAB for help in finding a new representative.

When you go to your adjourned appeal, remembet the panel are not the DWP, nor do they represent the DWP. They are there to assess what you can and can't do.

A paper appeal is not a good idea. Bite the bullet and go for it.

I have recently had my appeal and although I was very frightened, it was not a bad experience at all.

It was successful and I have just received a year's worth of PIP as a result.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Laura99 said:
    I can sense that you are very, very anxious.

Ask CAB for help in finding a new representative.

When you go to your adjourned appeal, remembet the panel are not the DWP, nor do they represent the DWP. They are there to assess what you can and can't do.

A paper appeal is not a good idea. Bite the bullet and go for it.

I have recently had my appeal and although I was very frightened, it was not a bad experience at all.

It was successful and I have just received a year's worth of PIP as a result.
    I telephoned a local welfare rights charity (not CAB or AgeUK as tried them already - too busy) in 2013 to see if they would look over my PIP2 on transferring to PIP from PIP. They were quite clear that they did not have the time but could suggest a representative to do the work and he would charge a % of the annual PIP award. If it was refused at Tribunal then there would be no fee.

Suffice it to say that I refused point blank to get involved with that shenanigan.  
  • Laura99
    Laura99 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Options
    That is awful. How dare they try to charge you.

I think you were quite right not to get involved in that.

I live in a council property and here the council employs a welfare rights worker. Having her by my side helped me enormously. She also wrote a submission to the panel for me.

I actually wrote my own detailed submission and sent it in to the tribunal (by recorded delivery) a month before the hearing. I was able to list the points I wanted to make and I attached a doctor's letter.

Most of my tribunal was based on my submission and I did get points for the things I suggested. 

I do understand that it is very frightening but try to say to yourself, 'What's the worst that can happen?'

They DWP is being shown up time and time again now. Almost 70% of tribunals are successful and that figure is rising. They must urgently be reviewing their assessment process.

I found my PIP home assessment nerve-racking and got no points for anything, which made me feel like a liar.

Fortunately the tribunal doctor and disability worker did not agree and I got the standard rate for daily living PIP and it was awarded from a year previously.

I did write in my submission that I had felt that the initial assessor had made me feel that I was a liar. This is a very common reaction by disabled people who get a refusal. We have enough to worry about without having this chaos about PIP.

I do feel for you.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.