My PIP so far — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My PIP so far

BJ2018
BJ2018 Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
I applied on March 20th... Sent the form back by 6th April and I've got my face 2 face at home through Capita on Friday 1st June!

Been reading this site though and not holding my hopes too high! 

I hope I get a nice one 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @BJ2018! All the best for your assessment, do let us know how it goes.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, BJ2018, welcome to the community, as the hymn goes "do not be afraid for I have called you by your name" at your acessment don't be rushed if not sure asked for the question to be repeated, or can you explain what you mean. How do I move about. Remember what you wrote in your applecation form because you will have to justify the answers you gave. Be wary if the acessor drops sometihing don't attempt to pick it up,could be a ploy to see how well you can move, grab ,grip things or offer to make tea if this is something you struggle with or can't do or stated you can or can't do. The fact that you offered could mean you can do more than you let on or recorded in your application form. Have a friend present with you for surport and if things do get out of order you will have a witness. Good luck and keep us posted. Ps wait a couple of week then request a copy of your report this will give you an Indecation of your award but you still have to wait for officyaward letter.
  • Angelfire
    Angelfire Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi BJ2018,
    I can only echo what wilco says, all the advice given is good, I urge you to follow it.

Just one point of many regarding my assessment. My assessor stated that throughout the interview I held her gaze and was fully compliant all the way through. She neglected to write down that around half way through the assessment it had to be stopped as I burst into tears and had to be consoled by my wife. I then did my best to complete the process. The stress of these "interviews" are devastating to those with fragile mental health, but of course it cannot be seen.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    And for goodness sake don't do what I do and put a brave face on everything, demonstrating that you have found ways around the difficulties.
  • BJ2018
    My disability is a physical and noticeable so fingers crossed they wont be any lies on the report
  • Yadnad
    BJ2018 said:
    My disability is a physical and noticeable so fingers crossed they wont be any lies on the report

As I shuffled into the assessment room, wobbling from side to side saw my report tell me that not only did the assessor give me a full test for movement (which never happened) but that I also had no issues with being able to walk 200 metres repeatedly.

• Angelfire
    I can only assume that the assessors are paid a bonus on how many disabled they can deny PIP to. It sticks in your craw when Atos and Capita were paid £507 million between 2013 and 2016 for their services. Take money from the chronically ill and disabled and give it to two private companies.
  • BJ2018
    such a relief that is over! well I hope it was enough anyway! 

Had a lady call around 10.10am to say she was 20 mins early but if it was ok to attend earlier which I happily agreed. 

Starting the conversation was emotional especially having to discuss in detail my conditions. 

I didn't feel as if there was any trick Questions I was just totally honest throughout and my physical disability inst something that you wouldn't notice! 

I just hope that I gave enough information throughout 

She said I would find out in around 4 weeks unless their is a back log! 

• Angelfire
    BJ2018  I did the same, answered all the questions asked without any kind of embellishment, even though I broke down in tears half way through . When I received the verdict, because that's what it is, it basically bore little in common with the interview. To be blunt, it was full of lies. If I had to do it again, I would make sure to make the two recordings asked for if you request to record the interview. 
  • leannemich
    leannemich Community member Posts: 41 Courageous

BJ2018 said:
    Mine is a physical disability too, there was no lies in mine and I got awarded enhanced rate both! and if you’re having a home assessment they won’t have to see you walk through any door anyway!
    good luck :) 

• Yadnad

BJ2018 said:
    Mine is a physical disability too, there was no lies in mine and I got awarded enhanced rate both! and if you’re having a home assessment they won’t have to see you walk through any door anyway!
    good luck :) 

They would even at home if you go to the front door to let them in!
  • BJ2018
    edited June 2018
    Update - Have been rewarded with Standard living and received the report 

Q1 - Been given 2 points for Preparing food so that would mean ". Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 points" however on the report the asser has written "Poor grip to left hand, relies on others" 
    Surely I should have been given "
     Needs supervision or assistance to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 4 points" 

Q4 - Been given "
    Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to wash or bathe. 2 points" however in the report she has put once in the shower her partner has to help her due to left side weakness and reaching certain body parts... I made it clear I couldn't wash properly between waist and shoulders but shes failed to mention this bit so in my eyes i should have got " Needs assistance to be able to wash their body between the shoulders and waist. 4 points"

Q6 - Been given 
    Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to dress or undress. 2 points however in her report it says "she is only able to dress herself if she avoids buttons and laces other wise her partner would have to help her" so shouldnt that be Needs assistance to be able to dress or undress their upper body. 4 points

I don't understand as I dont use AIDs or appliances I physically need my partner or family member to help me 

What is everyone thoughts on the above 
  • beccijay
    beccijay Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    @BJ2018 what I would do in your situation is ask for an mandatory reconsideration and if needed point out why you think you should of been awarded more points because from what you have said the points conflict with the award 
  • BJ2018
    Yeah thats what I think... How can she say i need assistance from partner but then go for that i need an aid and give 2 points ?
  • Shona1
    Shona1 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Keep going only way we will get anywhere is when under scoring us is to damaging to their image and pocket. Get help as often it’s how we word it. For mine simply being capable of discussing my disability and it’s effects resulted in a focus on how articulate I am and ignoring the support relied upon. I have to hand my car back and wait another two months approx for an appeal date. I have Cerebral Palsy scored 10 instead of 12 needed for the high rate mobility. 
  • john1965
    john1965 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Had my pip review over a year ago was warned by my peer to peer support work(who attended) I would get 0 points.
    Yes I got 0 points had bundles of evidence.
    1 year 1 month later at the tribunal I got 10 points.
    The companies for the pip test are payed to fail you the interviewer gets a bonus.
    They change what you say to suit them I was virtually called a lier.
    Never give up fight them if you believe your right.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.