Blue Badge — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue Badge

sorena
sorena Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi Community, 
I'm applying for a Blue Badge from my council but they want to see all pages of my PIP entitlement report - including the care component - eventhough I've sent a yearly statement which identify that I get high right mobility. I feel uncomfortable with the council having this information. 

Is it normal for councils to demand this for a blue badge application?

Thanks  

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    They didn't use to ask for all the reports but they may be making sure only those that really need a badge get one. Make a copy of the forms you send  if they ask for the originals as if they get lost it will be difficult to replace them.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, they love bureaucracy - it keeps a lot of people in work?!

My council insisted I sent them all pages of my PIP award letter before they'd issue a blue badge.

I'm afraid you have no choice but to send all pages.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Im glad to hear tje councils are at last checking
    Too many people get disabled badges even though they know it means disabled people will have to drive round and round car spaces before they can park. This often makes disabled people late for hospital appointments.
    All because some people are greedy and selfish 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Misscleo said:
    Im glad to hear tje councils are at last checking
    Too many people get disabled badges even though they know it means disabled people will have to drive round and round car spaces before they can park. This often makes disabled people late for hospital appointments.
    All because some people are greedy and selfish 
    I agree entirely with you that councils must check on the eligibility of applicants.
    However I don't agree with your statement "Too many people get disabled badges". Each and every person that fulfils the criteria for a badge is entitled to receive one. Numbers don't matter, eligibility does. 
    If there are too few spaces don't blame the badge holders or even the council, you should complain to the site owner instead. As for hospitals if there are 200 spaces but 400 blue badge holders want to park, it's simply first come, first served.

And where does being selfish & greedy come into it? Everybody who has a badge is as entitled to use it as you, me and the rest of us are.

• itsmefee
    itsmefee Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    I have to totally agree with Yadnad. Everyone who has a blue badge is entitled to one. They are quite rigorously checked now and not given out lightly. 

Unfortunately it is a fact that there simply aren't enough blue badge parking spaces in some areas, especially hospitals but that has to be addressed directly with them. 

I still do see however, non blue badge holders parking in disabled bays, which is extremely annoying and very uneducated of them. 

Brightness