PIP assessment for social anxiety — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment for social anxiety

JazCo
JazCo Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
edited June 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi,

I have applied for PIP for my social anxiety disorder and abandonment anxiety.

I know the question criteria but I kind of need people who know more than I do to bounce off, as one thing that causes me great distress is the unknown (strangers, places, circumstances).

I was wondering if anyone has recently had an assessment for PIP with social anxiety under their newer criteria (that considers mental health more inclusively) who can help to put my mind at ease.

I did a self test online and scored high on both elements which I was quite surprised about. Daily living was because I scored about 2 points in almost every section because when my mood drops due to my anxiety and depressive cycles, I can't mentally get myself to get dressed, shower or make any food for myself. My partner has to really help me out to get me to that point. He has to remind me daily to take medication too, either because of my memory issues or because of my low states.

The mobility surprised me more, but because I cannot undertake any journey without my partner or someone very close to me, familiar or not, safely, repeatedly and reliably I scored 12. I can if absolutely necessary and have done in the past when I was working, but on numerous occasions, I had to get off the train because panic attack symptoms and I would miss about 3 or 4 trains after work to get one that would be empty. Even with my partner, if the train or bus is busy, I begin to experience panic symptoms. I now have taxies to university paid for my student finance for this difficulty. Which I know will luckily go in my favour.

So yeah, any tips to making sure the assessors do not misinterpret my condition, do not underplay it and that I cover all bases so if worse case scenario I get rejected, I have a good case for appeal after?

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @JazCo Pleased to meet you. Welcome.

Thank you for your story. This assessment all I know in my experience. Both with ESA and PIP is to say how you are on your worse day.  Understand I have done the test like you.

Thing is to make sure  concise information on the application form.  Have a look on the posts and threads on PIP for links and advice.

The relevant information and make sure at any assessment have some one to support you.  Understand you have a partner. That is good but do have support of any other.

Used to have support worker or health worker.  They are helpful in not only supporting you but dealing with your issues.  Usually charities or well being service.

Another option is advocate. Some charities do have these.

As with all assessments it all depends about the assessor.  Please can I add wish you the best.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger

say how you are on your worse day
    I'm sorry but this subject has been here before.

If you allude to the assessor or even allege it on the claim form that your worst day is every day with no let ups then and assuming that you have better days but don't declare them you are heading for a fraud investigation.

It is far better to be totally honest even telling them that you do have good days but the bad days outweigh them.

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @JazCo
    I too have social anxiety, depression, involuntary body movements and speech loss ( the last two are due to the anxiety).
    I received standard daily for pip and no mobility award after my f2f.
    I appealed this, was appealing the daily award.
    After the traumatic appeal I was award enhanced daily and standard mobility. 
    Im not really sure what questions you need help with, brains not working today but if you would like to ask I’d answer.
    Tip re assessor in getting them to understand, hopefully you have an assessor who understands your conditions other wise it’s a case of wait and see
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
     Both with ESA and PIP is to say how you are on your worse day. 

@thespiceman
    That is the worst advice ever, sorry. When going for either of these assessment to tell them this is wrong. PIP to start with isn't about your worst days, it's how you are at least 50% of the time.

If you went to the PIP assessment and told them your worst day, and you were actually fine that day....yes, we all have better days! Then they are going to think if that was your worst day, then you can't really be that bad.

Never ever base any of these assessments on your worst day. The same when filling out the forms, never ever base them on your worst day.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Yadnad   @poppy123456   Thanks for letting me know I went wrong. Looks like I apologise but.   .As I said on your worst day. 

That does not mean every day. Understand my words being taken out of context.

Understand also was told this in the interim by people who deal with both Benefits.

Only being doing benefits claiming over twenty years plus. So I am wrong just read the booklet you get first.

Having been there so many times.

Does say in the booklet   Not precise words  .If your needs vary tell us.  What way and how often.  Good and bad days or how your needs vary.

So if you have a worse day you tell them.  Of course we have good days every body does. Also base your answers on health and welfare needs.  Can you do this activity safely.

Doing the activity causes anxiety, tiredness and pain say so. You are of course allowed to say how every thing is good or bad.

You are both implying that should base the form on the worse day. I did not say that either. If you do not mind.

Thank you
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    You did indeed state that you should base both ESA and PIP on your worst day, which is why i quoted your comment. No one else here stated that only yourself.

I'll say it again basing these on your worst day is NOT correct.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    As I said on your worst day......That does not mean every day. Understand my words being taken out of context............You are both implying that should base the form on the worse day. I did not say that either. If you do not mind.
    It is quite clear to me what you are suggesting - your posting does not indicate that it doesn't mean every day. Your post is very specific in it's content.
    As for taking your comment out of context - you yourself stated precisely that "Both with ESA and PIP is to say how you are on your worse day"

Apology accepted and please in future think before you give advice. 

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Think @thespiceman was trying to put a point across in all good faith.
    He’s a valued member of this community 
    He is also going through the process and could probably use our support. 

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Can only agree with @poppy123456 and @Yadnad on this. There is no room for misinterpretation here. The advice is wholly incorrect and potentially dangerous. It is inaccurate to describe only your worst days and it’s also potentially fraud, I am aware of two prosecutions and know that one was successful. 

When you claim disability benefits you describe not good and bad days but all the variations. It’s the variations themselves that lead to a need for aids, assistance etc. 
    @Username_removed  interesting It's now confused me what way I need to word it, this is how it affects me I wonder if you or anyone could explain how I would word it if Your feeling like I do, no good or bad days are the same every week?

I have say like bad days 5 bad out of 7 days then 1 day good then 8 days bad and 2 good then 12 bad in a row and another 1 good.

I have more bad days in a row than good.

As I'm trying to fill my ESA form in and I need to know how to word it.

I take my medication daily and use my aids every day but still feel bad most days please help as I was just going to put on most days and now reading the above I need help in explaining it right.

Really need help please.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• thespiceman
    Hello every body please can I add I just made a honest mistake here.  Must have had a bad day.

Understand me we all make errors and mistakes all of us.

I apologise profusely and I am very sincere in my honesty.

Sometimes all of us are guilty of doing the wrong thing but think we are doing the right thing with advice.

Have seen many members of our community make honest errors.  Have had scathing comments sent to them.

Understand I did not wish to be one of those community members.

Please do not be annoyed with me. I am myself totally confused and bewildered by this experience of PIP. Having again try to prove myself I am firstly worth while claiming benefits  Understand I myself born disabled and have other illness.. Also wishing not to lose my life line.  My car.

Also may I add you do get a booklet with the PIP form and my intentions were good but obviously flawed.  The information inside is very much in my opinion do not understand it and is very much blurred in its meanings.

Those who have no support like myself need benefits to live. So at the same time . I have and will be supportive of others going through the process.

Please take care every body and please do not be angry with me.  I know others who have made honest mistakes I am not annoyed or upset with them but patient and tolerant.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Yadnad
    There is no need to apologise. Your comments had to be corrected as it may have led others to think that that was the way to complete the PIP forms and what to tell the assessor at a face to face assessment.

Yes we all make blunders - I have made some big ones in my time including how I have dealt with the DWP over my PIP claims & face to face assessments.

You learn from them and move on..

• JazCo
    JazCo Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
    Hi everyone, thank you for taking to time to comment and try and help with my questions.
    The way I have done it, as many know, anxiety can fluctuate, is say that "during the bad days/weeks this is how I am affected, and these moments can fluctuate at any part of the day. Example I can make breakfast fine and then during the day, my mood will drop to a point I go to bed and don't want to leave to do anything else, so I don't end up eating for the rest of the day unless my partner is home how cooks for me and brings it to me" - I believe that should outline that it is not always like this, but I cannot for certain say I can reliably do that task over and over.

In terms of transport, I am constantly affected by anxiety on public transport or being in a room with strangers. How badly I am effected is determined by the number of people around me. I obviously go into a lot more detail than this.

I guess it's hard with a mental health issue as it can be interpreted so differently and that's why the appeals process is in place. My taxis from my home to my city centre (university) run out this week as I'm restarting due to health reasons. This means, unless I can get picked up by family, I am pretty much stuck to my local vicinity or travelling with my partner who can take me off the train or bus if I get really bad (and expecting a baby this month, I am close to crying at the mere thought of it)
    CAB told me to tell them about my worries about travelling with a new baby and how I anticipate I will be affected and how I am incredibly scared about having a panic attack on a bus or train with a baby in the form, as by the time I have the interview, the baby will be here so I can clarify if that is the case.

I guess it is just a case of waiting and seeing, I just don't want to not be clear enough that they don't understand exactly how badly I am affected at times and do what they so many times do, which is say there are no problems - especially as I can fake confidence when needed, although when I spoke to CAB I struggled a lot and they weren't even assessing me (probably because I hate talking about my difficulties to someone, when I scarcely understand them myself)

If I am granted a home visit due to it being close to when I give birth and then having terrible travel anxiety, then I can record it as I can give them a copy through my laptop after the session. Which I would like to do so if I have to appeal I can check the recording against the MR.
    If not, my partner said he will write notes for me.
    I don't have a social worker or anything, just a mental health midwife currently, but she can't attend these things for me.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for updating us @JazCo. It sounds like you're taking all the right steps, and I really hope you're granted the home visit and the assessment goes smoothly. Do keep us updated and if you have any queries in the meantime, just let us know.

If you feel like you would rather talk to somebody over the phone, you can also reach our helpline (free) at 0808 800 3333. Wishing you all the best, and I hope today is as kind as possible to you.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.