esa review form posted — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

esa review form posted

Options
shazier
shazier Community member Posts: 82 Pioneering
Hi everyone, sorry i have not been around for a few weeks. I am just looking to see if anyone can help me.
My renewal form for esa was due back by the 17th, it was sent back on the 15th. Unfortunately, i am sad to say that my son passed away early hrs in the morning on the 16th. My daughter rang atos last wed to see if this information could be added to my forms in the hope that they do not harass me to go to them for a medical, although i do flag up being vulnerable at the dwp because of my mental health. The lady at atos said my forms were with the medical assessors and it was a different department and there was nothing she could do. would it be worth my daughter ring the dwp and letting them of the terrible news and effects that this has had on me, i am absolutely devasted and even though my gp has written a home visit would be best for me, im worried they will ignore this and still maybe ask me to attend. I cant see that the dwp are going to bothered about my bereavement. has this happened to anyone eles....I would also like to add that, my sons funeral isnt until the 15 june, that has then given atos a month to go through my forms, my luck will be, appointment on the 
same day as his funeral
thank you in advance for any replies of help
shaz

Comments

• shazier
    edited June 2018
    Options
  • bevt2017
    bevt2017 Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @shazier

I'm so sorry for your loss.

My prayers go out to you and your family at this sad time.

I would deffenatly contact DWP to tell them of your sad news.
    And that your doctor has adviced that the assessment needs to be done at your home.

Take care
    Bev x
  • Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @shazier My condolences  on your loss .  The chances of you  being  asked to attend an assessment in a quick period of time depends on whether  you live in a city or more rural  the other variable is what your ESA50 form you completed contains and whether they need to do other investigation before deciding whether to call you in for an assessment.  Secondly you are allowed to rearrange an appointment if it is the first one you have received  as long as you let them know before the due date. Technically they allow you two opportunities to attend an assessment  and if you do not attend then they can refer you back to the DWP. In practice I have heard of people deferring  appointments 3 or more times . 

My advice is should you get a request to attend an assessment call them up and request a home visit they will then ask for you to submit evidence ( doctors letter etc ) why you cannot attend. this will at the very least buy you time.

I should also add that bereavement brings an additional burden to someone whom has a fragile mental state and it should be added to your evidence at any assessment.  You may also want to  google Cruse for bereavement advice or call them if you want  on  0808 808 1677.
  • shazier
    Options
    Thank you both for your kind words. and advise. I also suffer from agoraphobia which my gp added to the letter that she wrote saying that she felt a home visit was needed..  cab came to visit the day before my form was sent.. but my daughter had already downloaded a copy of the form and filled it in online then printed it out as,  I was getting far to anxious and couldn't settle at all just sitting waiting for cab to help.   My daughter has added a lot of extra information on how my physical and mental health affects me. The lady that came from cab was that impressed by how she had worded everything, she said if ever she came out of work they would be very happy to have her join them. She wrote down things in great detail but, the lady from cab said, that she had written more than she needed to but she didn't feel the need to change anything on the form. That made me feel much better knowing that they couldn't have filled it in any better than my daughter. When I was transferred over from income support, i think  5 yrs ago, I didn't have any medical, I was put straight into the support group for 3 yrs. I have been in the support group for 5 yrs and wasn't sent another review form until april, they were apparently at least 18 months behind. So fingers crossed this might be the case this time but, not holding my breath with getting no medical the first time round.I will google Cruse for bereavement and have a read, thank you for that 
    Ripples.
  • Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    Options
    @shazier Your daughter did well, in my mind there is no such thing as too much information about your conditions and how they affect you. Please remember this is a review they may decide that they have enough evidence with the written form (ESA50),  to give you a decision without calling you in for an assessment  and a paper decision would likely see you remain in the support group. You have enough things going in your  life so  don't worry about this, until you get paperwork then you can deal with it.
  • shazier
    Options
    @ Ripples thank you I was saying this to my daughter when cab told us that. They seemed to be concentrating their thoughts more on my agoraphobia. Like you say and quite rightly so, i have enough going on at the moment. Its stressful enough worrying about benefits but its nothing compared to losing my son. MY daughter has tried to ring dwp and let them know but, she was on the phone for over an hr and still no answer. what will be will be. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.