Will DLA be reduced if we get carers allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will DLA be reduced if we get carers allowance?

Options
carebear2611
carebear2611 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
i am a bit fed up with online benefit calculators as i cant seem to get the answers i need
i have been advised to apply for carers allowance.my husband works part time and claim dla
all i want to know is will his dla be reduced if we get carers allowance.
what is affected good or bad by applying and recieving it
thanks

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @carebear2611 and a warm welcome to you. I don't know the answers to your questions, so I'm going to look into it and find someone to get back to you.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
    @JennysDad
  • carebear2611
    carebear2611 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    i dont work previous medical probs but dont claim anything.
    hubby works 24 hours a week.
    gets dla mixture of middle and lower rate.
    we get tax credits and small housing benefit.
    thanks
  • Charles
    Charles Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Options
    Hi carebear2611, I believe that you being eligible and receiving carers allowance will not effect any DLA your husband is entitled to. 
  • aaronw3440
    aaronw3440 Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You lose any severe disability premiums you've got as the premiums go to pay for carers and you must earn no more than £120 a week and care for the person for a minimum of 35 hours per week allowance https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You lose any severe disability premiums you've got as the premiums go to pay for carers and you must earn no more than £120 a week and care for the person for a minimum of 35 hours per week allowance https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance 
    In this case there's no Severe disability premium being claimed because the other person works, and no JSA/IS or ESA is being claimed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Charles
    Charles Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Options
    Good job Poppy.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.