Would like to try going back to work. Will I have to reapply for benefits if I can't do the job? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would like to try going back to work. Will I have to reapply for benefits if I can't do the job?

Options
moughton
moughton Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2018 in Work and employment
Hi all. I am new to the community and would like to know if anyone can help with a question I have about working. I am disabled with Parkinson's but would like to try going back to work. My concern is such that if I try work and realise I cant do the job will I need to go through the whole process of reapplying for PIPs etc

Comments

• aaronw3440
    aaronw3440 Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Options
    You can still work while claiming pip but if you're on Esa then you'll lose your esa 
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Options
    Pip is for anyone who is disabled however much they work or earn.

Hi there! Such an exciting post! How is your journey back to work going? I feel very.... Kind of like I've a whole new body and I don't know what it can and can't do half the time.... 

Im a teacher. I used to work as a music teacher in secondary school. I have realised I will never be or do the same as 'before'..... But.... Instead I've kind of broken it up. I think about what about that job I loved  what skills I have.... But also the physical side. E. G. I wondered if I'd even get round a classroom now I use a wheelchair. 

The best advice I've had was to break stuff down and deal with it bit by bit. E. G...... I didn't know whether I'd be able to move round a class of kids.... So I got in touch with my daughter's school and did small bits like have kids read to me for half an hour a week.... The work itself is easy BUT it was all the logistics of moving my body  needing the loo,  parking, moving my chair safey round kids etc

Anyway.... Few years later I'm now finding there's different stuff I can do now... Like several peoole/companies want my professional feedback on access in music venues, public buildings etc. 

So bit by bit is helping. 

So.... Sounds like you've got some drive ☺ what do you want to do? 

• oldngrumpy
    oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 216 Pioneering
    Options

My Personal Experience..

I too would love to go back to work, but saying this I have not worked for over ten years.

What has/is putting me off is the ‘safety net’ that should be in place for people like me/us.

I discussed this with a DWP advisor and I explained what problems I have in not just gaining employment, but also holding a job down. * Concentration/Memory Problems and also Depression*

I was advised that if I came off E.S.A., benefit and went back to work, but then found it hard to hold down employment, and was sacked, the return to the E.S.A., benefit would be very hard, near impossible.

I also did a job about seven years ago under ’therapeutic hours’

I also got the sack with this job. 

About five months later after the sack I received a letter requesting wage slips to be sent to DWP for tax purposes.

It is not worth the hassle!

If you can try and stay sane by staying on the current benefit you are on. And I know it is hard!

I would not want to go through the rigmarole from them years ago.

Best of Luck!

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community, @moughton!

You've had some good advice above, and you may also like to check out this page on the ways working can affect benefits. Have a read, and do come back to us with any questions.
  • moughton
    moughton Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks very much for the info, most useful. It would seem that the government are not to bothered about getting people with disabilities back to work. You would think that a period of say three months work trial if no good then straight back to benefits would be appropriate! At least it gives people like me an opportunity to get off benefits and save the government some money.

Brightness