Does anyone enjoy reading? - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone enjoy reading?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Love reading ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 43 Listener
    Victoriad said:
    Rogerr Cook was a great investigative journalist......was it true that members of the underworld had a contract out on him?

Yes several, he now lives in an undisclosed fortress.
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • cornishmaid
    cornishmaid Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    I just LOVE reading.  I would be lost without my kindle, brilliant way to read in bed at night as you dont need your glasses and the backlight is just brilliant.  Its a great way to try authors that I probably would never have looked at when I used to buy/read books.  I have found some brilliant authors and a lot of the time its been from reading a 'free' book
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 43 Listener
    I love hunting round charity shops but sadly they don't sell any old books these days.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    andyjd said:
    I love hunting round charity shops but sadly they don't sell any old books these days.
    Some will have a vintage section.
    Oxfam Springs to mind. 
    EBay will. Found a nice 1940's book that way. 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • EstherB
    EstherB Community member Posts: 16 Pioneering
    I love to read , I am a Christian so I've to red team bible, books i preferences true stories I can get lost in a book if it grabs my attention 
  • EstherB
    EstherB Community member Posts: 16 Pioneering
    I love to read my Bible, books I enjoy are true stories if they grab me I can get stuck into it. Love to read 
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Struggling to read just now. Hopefully someone bumps this around October.  :)
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Grace56
    Grace56 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    I love books and I have hundreds both fiction and non fiction. I used to be a prolific reader but these days, my concentration isn’t what it was. 
    I read non fiction like history, self-help and historical biographies when I can’t sleep. 
    I do like older women’s  chick lit’ by Annie Sanders or Erica James. And I’ve just finished a biography about Eustace Chapuys and that took me months to finish. 
  • sam66
    sam66 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi. I invested in a kindle when I became less mobile & it got hard to hold a book for a long period of time. I pay £7.99 a month for a choice of thousands of books. You can pay extra & get audio on alot books. It has been my savour. If you get a kindle with built in WiFi, you can use it as a normal tablet. I have not used my laptop since.

• Karen4ev
    Karen4ev Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi I love reading crime/thrillers etc I bought a kindle because I couldn’t hold a book open etc. I bought a little bean bag cushion to hold the kindle so I’m now what you might say hands free lol. I read that many books that for years I paid £7.99 a month to amazon for their kindle unlimited but someone told me recently how to read kindle amazon books for free so I’ve now cancelled my £7.99 payment. I love getting lost in a good book because it helps take my mind off a bit of the pain I constantly feel and it lifts my mood too. 
  • Karen4ev
    Karen4ev Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi I love reading crime/thrillers etc I bought a kindle because I couldn’t hold a book open etc. I bought a little bean bag cushion to hold the kindle so I’m now what you might say hands free lol. I read that many books that for years I paid £7.99 a month to amazon for their kindle unlimited but someone told me recently how to read kindle amazon books for free so I’ve now cancelled my £7.99 payment. I love getting lost in a good book because it helps take my mind off a bit of the pain I constantly feel and it lifts my mood too. 
  • Apri54
    Apri54 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    edited July 2018
    Read all the time! I read everything we had (big bookshelf) then  my teens A level Literature reading list , then books I had never had time to read off eBay On the road Jack Kerouac etc..
    My other teen bought me a kindle, I love it and use it for previews, non fiction, this and it is essential when I cancan't get about .
    Now I am using the charity shop I donate 5, buy 5, read and repeat! It is another medication free way of controlling the pain.
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    I am reading  The redemption of Althalus, by David and Leigh Eddings, just now. I do enjoy reading especially when the weather has been lovely and I can sit out in the garden and enjoy it. I am starting to build up for winter and getting more from the charity shop. I often hand them in to the school once I have finished with them so they can sell on to raise funds.
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • yassin
    yassin Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    whistles said:
    This is something I do over the winter.
    Not getting on that well with current book but will persevere, half way now so want to know how it ends. 
    Can't read Sci Fi, but like romance, general topics I suppose nothing complicated. 
    I actually read teens books too- just as good.  :)

Over to you.
    Hi I love reading
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Right now I am reading a series of detective books by Robin Roughly on amazon kindle. I go through all the free ones as I pay monthly fee on amazon. I read just about anything but the story has to intrigue me from the start or I dont bother. I dont read really dark books as I find it brings my mood down. I like to mix up the genres.

Brightness