Using the online community — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Using the online community

debbiedo49
debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
Be good for members to be directed to popular catagories such as PIP ESA etc rather than multiple threads of the same thing. Wouldn’t it?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @debbiedo49

Good Evening & Welcome.

I’m part of a “Community Team” who are empowered
    in helping “new & existing”
    members navigate around our site/online community.

Please please let me know if I can help you further ????
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    The majority of members I find only come here for pip or esa advice, then leave sadly.
    I make a point of starting posts on other subjects. There is life beyond and all that.
    But I agree @debbiedo49 the forum is predominantly just about benefits and not much else.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    We did a survey earlier in the year, and about 40% of people said they came to the community for benefits advice. It's unfortunately just a big area that people are struggling with at the moment. We do our best to direct people to the categories (and thousands of people find answers to their question on old threads) but there will always be people who repeat questions.

We also work really hard to encourage conversations about other subjects - one of the main ways we do this is with the guest posts on the home page which are about all sorts of topics. We then promote these on Scope's social media and in our email newsletter. 
  • debbiedo49
    I am not saying there is too much about benefits. In fact its crucial. What I am saying is, is there a way to direct folks to that topic or is that not viable? Thats all. I think its fantastic that you can come on here and get advice about benefits. I am just saying perhaps rather than introducing themselves and scope finding out what help they require, folks are going straight to their issues. Thats fine as people need it.
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Personally I'd rather not be directed to most popular threads, ESPECIALLY as they are PIP and ESA..... Yes, supoort is really important for those topics..  But there are many many more topics just as important to those individuals who use this forum to address them. And I don't want them to be lost.

I do think the whole introducing yourself is getting less useful as the site is more popular. I can't believe that many get answered (there are loads just this week) and I agree folks usually go to their preferred topic. 

Personally I wish the 'front page' was the topics page. And perhaps 5 or so current threads, 5 threads that scope want hiloghted... I love how mums net do theirs. 
  • Tarnia
    Tarnia Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Good morning all.

For someone like me who has never been apart of an online community before, i have to admit that I am struggling a little bit. Mainly with just the basic stuff. It was only "by chance" I learned about putting the @ sign Infront of someone's name when replying back to a certain person...
    I guess things like that should be common knowledge but if you're lacking  confidence in this area, it can be a bit a little tough...

I've been a member here for a few weeks. Although this is only my second post, (must be having a brave moment) I visit the site frequently.... mainly due to the prompt emails - a show of direction and care which I am truly grateful for.
    Thankyou.

Strength and kindness to all.

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    I only said hi when I first joined. I didn't want to introduce myself in that way and explain what my conditions were etc. 
    I did initially come here to discuss pip, but if we didn't get any new posts in those subjects we would have a quiet forum.

I just clicked on recent discussions.
    Half is esa and pip and half is other topics. So take those two topics away and we barely have anything to discuss?

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi all,

Some really interesting point made here that we can discuss as a community team, thank you. Seconding what @Alex has said, we want to make sure that those who are looking for information related to PIP/ESA have it, but also that we have other discussion points too... hence why we're making an effort to emphasise guest blogs and coffee lounge/reasons to be cheerful discussions as well. We've had some really lovely posts in these groups recently, so we'd love to see more of them!

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @Tarnia! If you haven't seen it already, you may find our community guide helpful, and do let us know if you have any questions or issues.
  • debbiedo49
    Great feedback thanks 

Brightness