PIP mental health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP mental health

oneill
oneill Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
As any one been contacted about the pip mental health part of claim 

Comments

• oneill
    oneill Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Do I have to contact them as my pip don't cover my pbd illness I was told when I went for assessment that I was there for physical ability not mental health but that new thing came out and said from 2016 people who went over to pip will be called back for assessments any one had this yet 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi oneill and welcome

PIP is a test of functionality and takes into consideration physical and MH difficulties, there is no separate assesment.

There has been an update to the mobility element concerning psychological distress. This will be addressed by the DWP and anyone that may be affected will be contacted in due course, you do not need to contact the DWP

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @oneill

MIND say:

If you have been turned down for PIP since December 2016 and struggle to make journeys because of psychological distress then the Government say they will look at your case as part of their review and write to you if you could be entitled to more support.

If you were turned down for PIP before December 2016 then the Government say they will not automatically look at your decision, but that you might want to consider making a new claim to PIP once they have finished their guidance. 

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Markinsutton
    Markinsutton Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    a huge part of my PIP was linked to my mental health. even though I am not classed as having Mental health issues or under the mental health team getting to places and understanding how to get help causes anxiety and stops me going out as much as I would like. 
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    I Dident get any points at this time .i Dident appeal though.do you have too of appealed the decision.and why are they still not following it even now?
  • littleruthie123
    If there's an update why are they still refusing everyone on mental health.sont feel confident in it at all 
  • littleruthie123
    Also they say the will contact too make another review.so effectively you would be again be bullied intoo going too see them for a face to face .even though your saying its a struggle mentally .confused 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • littleruthie123
    Totally get your point.and it would be a lot easier for me just too get points for my physical stuff which I would.but I do believe the principal of them making it harder for mental health problems ,with me anyway is unfair and not right.nit even about the small money difference .thats how I feel about it 
  • Shlbly
    Shlbly Community member Posts: 136 Pioneering
    I have had MH issues since 4 years old, emotionally disturbed, mal adjusted and petit mal. Seen many psychiatrists over the years (I’m 59), self medicated until 2007, then had a breakdown! Had a diagnosis in 2011 recurrent depressive disorder-moderate to severe with somatic symptoms F33.1, however assessor never mentioned MH and appeal people said ‘I have some MH’. When you are physically unwell too, how are you supposed to fight these people? The therapist I am seeing for NLP/hypnotherapy at present, which I am paying for as MH team keep telling me to go to CAB for my suicidal thoughts, 3 referrals in the last year, says that I have been wrongly diagnosed, as have many other professionals. 
    Sorry went on a bit there, no haven’t been contacted, but putting in a new claim with more help this time.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Totally get your point.and it would be a lot easier for me just too get points for my physical stuff which I would.but I do believe the principal of them making it harder for mental health problems ,with me anyway is unfair and not right.nit even about the small money difference .thats how I feel about it 
    Agreed and that is what I did. Had my first PIP assessment 2015 and the assessor 'carried out a mental health examination'. Her report consisted of about 14 one line statements which to the DWP meant that I was telling a pack of porkies and that I have never had any mental health issues.
    For the MR I ignored the MH aspect and concentrated only on the physical descriptors which saw me get awarded ERC & ERM! Much easier to not bother with the MH issues as they clearly weren't interested.
    As for the next two reviews I never mentioned anything about MH as I had no intention of wasting my time arguing with a brick wall.

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I have both chronic pain (10 yearsy and complex MH problems (since childhood). I win on both, eventually, but I have to appeal every time (once I won at MR). 

Assessors often don't know much about mental health (why would a  dental nurse or a paramedic know much about long-term MH stuff except for how to deal with/ crises?) Many of them seem to believe that MH is kind of a stupid thing to class as s disability - my last assessor wrote, "low mood, anxious, personality disorder" to describe my Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Borderline PD. Um, not exactly.

MDD: lie in for hours, days, or weeks (occasionally months), often unmoving despite pain, staring at one spot. Don't eat, barely sleep, don't bathe or dress, don't read email/texts, don't answer phone, sometimes for up to 12 days. Forget meds a lot too, or just too unmotivated to get out my med box. "Low mood". Ha.

GAD: So anxious that I can't sleep for up to 60 hours. Can't leave room because anxious about housemates. Can rarely leave house alone because anxious about many many things. Social anxiety too. Can't pick clothes to wear because it becomes extremely important in my head, and I freak out about whether people will think I'm a freak. Often get so freaked out by stressors that I dissociate for... Minutes or Hours.

BPD: long explanation, but assessor clearly had no idea of what it was, because he didn't mention it again in the report.

Oh, and I drink way too much when stressed, self-harm on a regular basis, and get suicidal enough that I have the means to do it. Friends, partners, and family have kept me alive so far. He didn't have the time to hear about self-harm or suicide, but he "had enough on my mental health". A liaison psychiatry report on me from 7 weeks before the assessmemt saying that I had high anxiety and had self-harmed, and had this been taken to A&E in an ambulance, which he copied, just disappeared. 

Oh and massive trauma issues throughout my life. 

Nope. No mental health problems here. He said I didn't seem anxious or withdrawn. Sigh.

Waiting on Tribunal now. They take MH seriously.

• Shlbly
    Shlbly Community member Posts: 136 Pioneering
    Waylay said:
    I have both chronic pain (10 yearsy and complex MH problems (since childhood). I win on both, eventually, but I have to appeal every time (once I won at MR). 

Assessors often don't know much about mental health (why would a  dental nurse or a paramedic know much about long-term MH stuff except for how to deal with/ crises?) Many of them seem to believe that MH is kind of a stupid thing to class as s disability - my last assessor wrote, "low mood, anxious, personality disorder" to describe my Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Borderline PD. Um, not exactly.

MDD: lie in for hours, days, or weeks (occasionally months), often unmoving despite pain, staring at one spot. Don't eat, barely sleep, don't bathe or dress, don't read email/texts, don't answer phone, sometimes for up to 12 days. Forget meds a lot too, or just too unmotivated to get out my med box. "Low mood". Ha.

GAD: So anxious that I can't sleep for up to 60 hours. Can't leave room because anxious about housemates. Can rarely leave house alone because anxious about many many things. Social anxiety too. Can't pick clothes to wear because it becomes extremely important in my head, and I freak out about whether people will think I'm a freak. Often get so freaked out by stressors that I dissociate for... Minutes or Hours.

BPD: long explanation, but assessor clearly had no idea of what it was, because he didn't mention it again in the report.

Oh, and I drink way too much when stressed, self-harm on a regular basis, and get suicidal enough that I have the means to do it. Friends, partners, and family have kept me alive so far. He didn't have the time to hear about self-harm or suicide, but he "had enough on my mental health". A liaison psychiatry report on me from 7 weeks before the assessmemt saying that I had high anxiety and had self-harmed, and had this been taken to A&E in an ambulance, which he copied, just disappeared. 

Oh and massive trauma issues throughout my life. 

Nope. No mental health problems here. He said I didn't seem anxious or withdrawn. Sigh.

Waiting on Tribunal now. They take MH seriously.

These assessors are liars and they omit everything they think will get you a higher award.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.