Does anyone else find that toilet doors are too heavy? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone else find that toilet doors are too heavy?

beryl69
beryl69 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Has anyone else found that they make doors to toilet too heavy. Especially when in a scooter or wheel chair? 

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Beryl (I'm guessing :smile:) @beryl69 and a warm welcome to the community.
    I am lucky in that this is not an issue for me, but I do see indications around me. I would expect that part of the problem is automatic door-closers, probably badly adjusted. They're a pain in the wotsit and do present a problem to a group of elderly people I know.
    If the door is in a managed space - a supermarket or something similar - you could try reporting it to the management.
    Warmest best wishes 
    Richard
    @JennysDad
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @beryl69!

Thanks for sharing this with us. I can certainly relate to this struggle when I use my wheelchair, with doors in general! It'll be interesting to hear what other members of the community think too. 
  • ojwen
    ojwen Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    yes I totally agree with you !! Even most doors into shops have very heavy doors! I got to walk in backwards with my rollator and coming out is worse !!! 

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes the non automatic shop doors are the worst, public toilets are just manageable, we will have to do more excersises. 
  • cripps
    cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
    They are a real problem these doors, shops by law have to have disabled toilets but they don’t manufacture the doors for disabled people. Wake up manufactures lifes hard enough. NC 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    beryl69 said:
    Has anyone else found that they make doors to toilet too heavy. Especially when in a scooter or wheel chair? 
    Not too sure that the reason may well be because they are fire doors?

Or is it that you have a problem with the strength of the spring mechanism that closes the door automatically?

• sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Yes i agree, im not in a wheelchair but i have M.E. and i find as well as toilet doors many shop doors are heavy as well, i even find pushing open car doors a struggle! 
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    1. Fire doors are not intended for ensuring incineration of cripples. (!)
    2. Weight has no relevance to anything correctly hinged or mounted. (Trams and         trains are routinely  turned by hand)
    3.  Adjustment of closers is a major disability  rights issue. It also disadvantages         the entire general population including pregnant, injured, frail, parcel carrying,         buggy pushing and many more.

But Disability,  the Less Equal Equality,  has no meaningful enforcement, which in itself is a breach of  international Human Rights

In theory, there is a building Reg part M rule that makes 20 Newton the max. opening resistance,
     but A) there are two measurements, sheer push plus speed of closing.
            B) there is never any check, or ongoing re -measurement 
            C) neither premises managers, nor building regs inspectors, know or care
            D) under disability discrimination law, the test is one of effect, not box ticking,
                    I.E. It is unlawful if it makes it hard for a disabled person to access (or to                         get out fast,  unaided, in case of fire) 

Brightness