giving up work to care for dad — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

giving up work to care for dad

SkyMary7
SkyMary7 Community member Posts: 55 Connected
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
hi i want to give work up to care for my dad who is on PIP and lives by himself. we have a 7 year old girl and my partner is down as carer for her. Problem is my dad says hell loose his benefits if i claimed carers allowance for him. He is 67 and on pension credit and PIP higher rate. Can anyone advise if this is correct and what he would loose. thanks S x

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi SkyMary7, I don't think it will affect dads benefits at all as the carer can be anybody not a family member who would be getting the carers allowance and not your dad. I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong but do check with CAB or other parts of scope site.
  • SkyMary7
    hi i wasn't sure if it would affect his housing benefit? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

First thing you need to do is check what PIP he claims, if he claims the Daily living part then it's highly possible that he's claiming Severe Disability Premium (SDP) This is paid to someone living alone, claims either daily living PIP, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance and no one claims Carers Allowance for looking after him. It's £64.30 per week. If you claim Carers for him then he will lose this premium. No other benefits of his will be affected.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SkyMary7
    hi he said he claims the middle care component and low rate mobility. x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    There's no middle care for PIP, it's standard or Enhanced. Middle care is for DLA. Either way he needs to check that he's not claiming the Severe Disability Premium (SDP) because if he does and you claim Carers Allowance for looking after him then he'll lose that SDP. That's a lot of money for him to lose.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SkyMary7
  • SkyMary7
    is it more than the Carers allowance   ? 
  • SkyMary7
    my plan is to just give him the carers allowance, if he is affected. But we are just trying to find out if he will be. thanks 
  • SkyMary7
    okay thanks for your advice x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.