How will my DLA change after 65? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How will my DLA change after 65?

bammywammy
bammywammy Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited June 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
HOW WILL MY DLA CHANGE AFTER 65? I AM NOW 65 AND STILL RECEIVE DLA. BEEN ON IT FOR MANY YEARS AFTER A TERRIBLE ACCIDENT IN 1969. MY ESA HAS STOPPED AND I GET MY PENSION.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello,  bammywammy and welcome to the scope cumunity, as you are receiving DLA before you retired you will continue to receive it now that you have retired. Please feel free to exsplore the site and join in and comment on people's posts if you have a reason to do. 
  • bammywammy
    thank you. will it still be paid as dla or pip ?
  • bammywammy
    I was very near to death a few years ago and not expected to live. don't understand why I lived ? Doctors and everybody expected me to die as I could not stand up, walk or do anything. I was in hospital for some time and prayed and prayed. I am much better but must be careful.on medication for life.I was terrified as I was in both worlds and although I saw things in the underworld, I was frightened. It was a world of peace and tranquillity with all the 'answers' to everything. People wait for you and determine if you are ready or not.
  • bammywammy
    My late mother had the same experience and everybody laughed at her. She was both blind and very deaf towards the end of her life. she had a terrible accident of the worst kind with her head severely cut open when she fell down the stairs. I was traumatised and screamed for help. She was near to death with such bad injuries all over her. she told me she saw her late father in the next world who sent her back. she made a fantastic recovery. the hospital laughed at her and said she was dreaming. I went to my cousins funeral a few years ago. After I got back home, the glass picture frame immediately fell to my feet and remained unbroken despite the heavy fall. This I am told is a classic reaching of the dead with thanking you. I have very strong telepathic powers and indeed very intuitive by nature. Animals and birds are feel secure with me. My dog is extremely unusual given that we read each others minds. I had a bird for 10 years who would fly down the road and I would call him back. he would sit on my shoulder when outside and never leave me. 
  • bammywammy
    people laugh, but I can see sickness in people's eyes.

• joyclyn
    joyclyn Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    Sorry but I wanted to know your age as now I also was on DLA good few years but because I was born 1950 I had to change to pip hope your well
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    wilko said:
    Hello,  bammywammy and welcome to the scope cumunity, as you are receiving DLA before you retired you will continue to receive it now that you have retired. Please feel free to exsplore the site and join in and comment on people's posts if you have a reason to do. 
    That's not correct. Unless the other person was 65 on 8th April 2013 then they will be invited to apply for PIP eventually. There's still a lot of people waiting for the invite because they're behind with all the transfers.

@bammywammy, you will be invited to apply for PIP. Evidence will be needed to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for evidence. You'll continue to receive your DLA until a decision is made on the PIP. Once a decision is made your DLA will stop 4 weeks later. If successful with PIP you'll start to receive payment, but you'll continue to be re-assessed regularly depending on award length.

If not successful then you can start the appeal process by first asking for a Mandatory Reconsideration.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • joyclyn
    joyclyn Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    I read this last night what wilko had said I thought it was a mistake 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger

That's not correct. Unless the other person was 65 on 8th April 2013 then they will be invited to apply for PIP eventually. There's still a lot of people waiting for the invite because they're behind with all the transfers.

@bammywammy, you will be invited to apply for PIP. Evidence will be needed to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for evidence. You'll continue to receive your DLA until a decision is made on the PIP. Once a decision is made your DLA will stop 4 weeks later. If successful with PIP you'll start to receive payment, but you'll continue to be re-assessed regularly depending on award length.

If not successful then you can start the appeal process by first asking for a Mandatory Reconsideration.

I would also add that if the claimant fails to convince the appeal Tribunal (if it should go that far) or they fail to return PIP documentation within the specified time at some point in the future, they cannot put in another PIP claim.

Those receiving DLA pre 65 and were not 65 by the operative date have only one chance of getting a PIP award.
  • bammywammy
    well, I had some form about 2/3 years ago saying that my dla was being paid as PIP. I never had a assessment with PIP. I was assessed for ESA at 62 which is over 3 years ago when in hospital near to death. They were wicked and threatened to stop my esa contributions payment until the hospital consultant phoned the evil assessment  along with my son sending them evidence I was in hospital dying and half my weight on 20 types of medication. They wanted me to get out of my hospital bed, skin and bone, and crawl down to them at romford. They then told me to forget the assessment and payment of my esa continued. My dla still being paid after 20 years. I had a letter years ago saying my dla is now called pip. I have had SDA (severe disablement allowance from before esa. My dla is indefinite as my condition/s will never get better and I am medication for life and may only have a few years left. however, doctors at the Royal London hospital, who told my family 3 years ago that I am dying, still can't work out why I am still alive. I could not stand up, had no strength and was sick all over my body. This is apart from my severe osteoarthris and hip damage from 1969 after a hit and run driver knocked me down leaving me paralysed and with a smashed hip etc. However, I pulled myself together, with the help of my blind Mother, walked on iron calipers to work and worked for 40 years with overtime as well, until the pain was too much to tolerate .Now on dla and retirement pension from my contributions paid from 1968. I pay my rent and all bills. It is hard for me and I hope they don't steal or cut my dla/pip
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you sure? If you were under 65 on the 8th April 2013 you will be transferred to PIP.
    To receive PIP you would have had to telephone the DWP that you wanted PIP, then you would have received a huge form to send in. Did any of that happen?

If not it's highly likely that you are still on DLA waiting your turn to be re-assessed for PIP.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.