Tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal

ljenk
ljenk Community member Posts: 35 Connected
hi!
After a year of worry and an hour and ten minutes of grilling and embarrassment and tears I was awarded enhanced for both, they gave me a letter there and then and said it was a majority vote
i called DWP who said they received the document for the court. How long before I receive the documents from them so I can try and get a mobility vehicle as the one I’m borrowing is being sold

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,339 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news. Backdated money can take anything between 2-8 weeks. DWP do have 28 days to ask for the Statement Of reasons from the Tribunal, they may make you wait at least this long. If your Tribunal was a few weeks ago then give PIP a ring. If i was recently then i'd wait a couple of weeks until you ring them. Hopefully you won't be waiting too much longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ljenk
    Thank you. It was more the letters so I can get a mobility car. I have rung a couple of times and they said they received from the court and it’s with someone 
  • ljenk
    Ok thank you. I was just anxious as I wanted to know they had it 
    I was initially awarded 11/12 for care and 10/12 for mobility and the tribunal awarded 13/12 for care and 20/12 for mobility. 
  • ljenk
    I think the majority was the doctor and judge as the disabilities person took an instant dislike. There wasn’t a DWP rep there 
  • joyclyn
    joyclyn Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    I wrote yesterday about my problem but  reading now I hope u could help I will keep it brief 68 yrs tribunal yesterday  running 1 hour couple mins lat 4.5pm I was very very stressed did not stop crying anyway the judge  asked if they could write to my doctor regaring my mental  health also get help from dissability rights on points my support worker there but not really acknowledged  so tribunal stopped 4.45. judge said may get them agàin but could b others but I would b more aware of what goes on is this now a new tribunal could it take months I wrote my doctor to inform her thank you
  • ljenk
    Do they ask for a statement of reasons often? I run gup a couple of times purely to check and also by the end of the hearing I didn’t even take in that was said as was so exhausted 
  • ljenk
    I just think they surely can understand someone has been stripped of everything no car throughout the year and had to fight to tribunal to then have it awarded on pip - naturally they are going to call to see if it’s there, whether someone has it or whether it’s been looked at yet?
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    When I won my tribunal judge didn't say whether decision was unanimous or majority.  Think it might have been majority as the doctor seemed unsympathetic.

I wonder what the ratio of unanimous to majority decisions is.
  • ljenk
    Tbh I have no idea- did DWP send you your papers. I spoke to a lawyer who said majority or unanimous it went in my favour. They wrote down all the points and reasons why it ruled in my favour. Mobility just told me to ring DWP again and explain the situation with the car 
  • Matilda
    My tribunal was a year ago.  I received DWP award letter, new payment rates and arrears about three weeks after hearing date.  Though waits can be longer.

Hope you hear soon.
  • ljenk
    Yes it’s says the majority on there and they placed particular reliance upon medical evidence (as I submitted a lot more evidence from my doctor)
    the judge and doc I think were in my favour. DWP weren’t there but another lady a disabilities advisor or something like that 
  • Matilda
    edited June 2018
    My tribunal decision letter did not refer to a majority decision so I suppose my decision must have been unanimous.

Tribunal placed a lot of weight on my medical evidence even though it was old and on my own testimony.

• ljenk
    Yes my tribunal mentioned a majority decision and that they placed a lot on medical evidence as I sent in more before tribunal 
    the doctor and judge were ok it was the other lady. I don’t know who she was? She wasn’t DWP - she didn’t have a title as such 
  • ljenk
    No I didn’t hear as had panic attack before I went in and spent most of the tribunal in tears. It was that lady who kept asking me questions over and over. It was almost bullying. The doctor turned around and said to her ‘we’ve already been through this’ and she replied ‘well I’ll keep my mouth shut then,’
    just hoping the DWP agree to it all as the medical evidence I submitted before tribunal from my doctor was very detailed as he pointed out all the descriptors he felt they have underestimated my points 
  • ljenk
    They said they had relied on the medical evidence given aswell which the DWP did receive before tribunal 
  • Matilda
    DWP can't overturn a tribunal's decision.  However, they can ask for a statement of reasons but only rarely do DWP actually appeal to a utt.
  • ljenk
    They’ve given reasons on the paper and shown the points given saying they are satisfied and based also on all medical evidence 
  • joyclyn
    please can anyone tell me if through been upset at tribunal judge asks if they can stop and get  mental health records from my doctor also for me to get help dissability rights or c.a.b about points I'm 68 is this going to b a new tribunal???I don't know what's really going on please any help much appreciated  
  • joyclyn
    so sorry I was at appeals got stopped. gave judge permission for them to contact my doctor mental health. so now when tribunal receives whatever will I b put down as new tribunal or do they have me down as already been and may get it done quicker hope this helps
  • Matilda
    I don't know.  You could phone the Tribunal Clerk and ask.

Try to get some f2f advice from CAB or similar.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.