MR question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

MR question

ash5896
ash5896 Community member Posts: 141 Pioneering
I recently put in for a mandatory reconsideration after my DLA to PIP. I was awarded standard on both.
When you put in for the MR does this go back to ATOS? I had a text yesterday “We've received the written report of your PIP assessment. We will write to you once we've made a decision on your PIP. As a guide you should hear from us within 4 weeks. You don't need to contact us unless any of the details you gave us have changed. Thank you.
I was confused so called DWPamd was advised that the MR would go to a different Nurse and then to a decision maker at DWP. Is this correct? I was under the impression it goes back to a different person in DWP. I am confused 
Ash 

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    The MR goes to a different case manager but it is highly likely to just confirm what his/her colleague had decided in the first place.
    Why they have this MR requirement as about 80% of earlier decisions are never changed. I know why they did it - they were hoping that with a another go at getting the right result it would avoid the cost of a Tribunal hearing. When you put your appeal in the DWP will have another go at getting it right.
    The DWP blame the claimant most of the time for not supplying evidence to support the claim - they say that the Tribunal get it so why don't they. What they fail to tell you is that the majority of appeals that are successful are down to the oral evidence given by the claimant to the Tribunal - ummm they had that opportunity at the face to face assessment but blew it!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Usually it just goes to a different decision maker/case manager. Looks like they sent it back to the assessment providers, possibly because they could have been some contradictions in the report and they spotted it. It does happen sometimes. Hopefully for you, it's good news. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ash5896
    Thanks guys I was getting worried because the assessment was nightmare. If you read my previous posts have gone into detail about what happened.
    thanks again 
    Ash 
  • ash5896
    Don’t give up hope just yet.
    my MR decision was changed in my favour.
    so there are success rates even though you don’t hear from many 
    I’m concerned because after the text I called and they said it’s been referred back to Atos but a different nurse. I was under the impression it goes to DWP and they look at the decision. ??Anyway, my GP gave me a fantastic letter sonsee what happens 
    Ash 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi ash5896,

The MR is done by a case manager at the DWP, if they have referred it back to ATOS it's possibly because the DWP want some further advice of a medical nature from the assessment provider. It shouldn't be anything to worry about and I hope it goes your way!

Lee

The Benefits Training Co:

• ash5896
    Just to update had the brown envelope earlier this morning through the letter box before we were even up. The MR has gone in my favour both changed from standard to enhanced. This is what I was on when receiving DLA. I was surprised it’s gone in my favour as I didn’t expect it to. The award has been changed from 2 years to 3 years which I still think is wrong as all the evidence provided says I have a life long disability which is going to get worse as I get older. The letter says I’ll be co tatted again in March 2020 so I’m assuming will have to go through all of this again.
    I did the MR myself by breaking down all the questions where they didn’t score me the correct points then explained why I should’ve got more.i was awarded 14 for daily living and 12 for mobility whereas before it was 8 for both.
    really canttha k you guys on here enough for all the advice it made things easier and made me realise it wasn’t just me being dragged through this.
    thank you again
    Ash 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the update @ash5896, and congratulations- I hope at the very least you're now able to relax and focus on taking care of yourself! 
  • ash5896
    Thanks for the update @ash5896, and congratulations- I hope at the very least you're now able to relax and focus on taking care of yourself! 
    Thank you pippa and it’s all down to everyone here who have given me the encouragement and advice to fight DWP. I’m ok for now but a big worried about having to go through all this again in 2 years time. I was hoping they would change the length of the award too,they have but only by a year. 
    Ash 
  • ash5896
    ash5896 said:
    Just to update had the brown envelope earlier this morning through the letter box before we were even up. The MR has gone in my favour both changed from standard to enhanced. This is what I was on when receiving DLA. I was surprised it’s gone in my favour as I didn’t expect it to. The award has been changed from 2 years to 3 years which I still think is wrong as all the evidence provided says I have a life long disability which is going to get worse as I get older. The letter says I’ll be co tatted again in March 2020 so I’m assuming will have to go through all of this again.
    I did the MR myself by breaking down all the questions where they didn’t score me the correct points then explained why I should’ve got more.i was awarded 14 for daily living and 12 for mobility whereas before it was 8 for both.
    really canttha k you guys on here enough for all the advice it made things easier and made me realise it wasn’t just me being dragged through this.
    thank you again
    Did you ask for a specific length of award? 
    Hi Mike 

For the length on the award it was written saying that I have a life long disability which is getting worse and having to be reassessed in 2 years time will more than likely not make any difference in improving. They have increased it by a year to 3 years now. I’m waiting for the CAB lady to call me back and see what she says. To be honest I don’t have a problem with being reassessed i just don’t want to go through what I have done this time. I have learnt a lot from this site from you and other members so I can be better prepared in the future but I’d rather not go through the process again. I know everyone probably feels the same and everyone in their own right also don’t want to go through it again. I’m hoping the evidence provided this time is enough for the next fight but you never know with these people.
    Ash 
  • april123
    april123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    @ash5896 congratulations good news for a change xx
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @lillybelle They haven't told us the details yet, but I believe that you have to have enhanced on both, as well as a 10yr award in order to get a light touch review. Don't quote me on that. @Username_removed , any idea? 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Ah... And they haven't made the new guidance yet, so who knows what'll happen...
  • ash5896
    Update 
    so after the MR the length of award was changed to 3 years from 2. I decided to appeal this and last week received a letter from the courts just outlining what to expect. Had a letter today from DWP and the award has now been changed to 10 years so I don’t need to go to a tribunal.
    Ash 
  • angel137
    angel137 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    Congrats to you.
    I have a 10-year award,  no need for review. I get standard Pip on both. 
    I live in hope that I will get a "light touch review" some day! 
  • ash5896
    angel137 said:
    Congrats to you.
    I have a 10-year award,  no need for review. I get standard Pip on both. 
    I live in hope that I will get a "light touch review" some day! 
    I really hope I don’t have to go through it again. I’m not sure how light touch means only just what I’ve read in here

Ash 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.