Disability premium — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability premium

DDL224
DDL224 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello, I have received income based ESA for 5 plus years, standard care PIP and no mobility for 2 years for multiple mental health and physical disabilities. 

I was told by courts at tribuanl to come back with my physical evidence after 2 years and now i have it, i have recently been back to another face to face assesment for PIP only to be knocked back when my conditions have worsened and currently waiting for a second tribunal. 

My question is, should I have been receiving the premium over the last 2 years? As I have no carer or partner. I was only informed last week by a DWP representative of this premium. Why would they leave it that long to tell me that? Any feedback is welcome. Thanks. 

Sorry I posted in other thread, didn't realise how this worked.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The Severe Disability Premium (SDP) is not automatically awarded because of the criteria. If no one has claimed Carers Allowance for looking after you and you don't live with any other person over the age of 18 (unless they also claim a qualifying benefit) Not just a partner. then yes you should have been receiving this premium on top of your ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • DDL224
    Ok, thanks for the info.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes it should. I think they hope nobody will tell you!
    I didn't know it was connected to DLA, I thought that was ESA. 

As you are appealing the decision, I wonder if that's a bizarre hold up?

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • DDL224
    whistles said:
    Yes it should. I think they hope nobody will tell you!
    I didn't know it was connected to DLA, I thought that was ESA. 

As you are appealing the decision, I wonder if that's a bizarre hold up?

This is a separate decision I'm appealing, won both esa (5 years ago) pip (2 years ago) and received two letters through my door on the same day November 2017 saying I had to attend a face to face assessment for both. Now in June 18 waiting for tribunal dates for the two and been put on to appeal rate for esa. 

I just think it's bizarre how they've only notified me of the premium when there's a break in both claims.
  • poppy123456
    SDP is payable on assessment rate of ESA as well as both groups, if you qualify.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • DDL224
    Thanks for the information guys, I rang Friday and an advisor told me I'd be contacted within 2 days by a manger.
  • Girlhappy
    Girlhappy Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    edited June 2018
    As soon as i went onto pip, i got a text message to contact dwp, about the change in benefits. i didn't get anything extra put onto my esa. I got 18 points for pip assessment, do i qualify for the sdp too?
  • poppy123456
    Girlhappy said:
    As soon as i went onto pip, i got a text message to contact dwp, about the change in benefits. i didn't get anything extra put onto my esa. I got 18 points for pip assessment, do i qualify for the sdp too?
    To qualify for the SDP you must first be claiming Income Related ESA. No one must be claiming Carers Allowance for looking after you and you need a daily living award of PIP. If no one claims Carers Allowance for looking after you, you must live alone or be classed as living alone. This means if any other adults live with you, you won't qualify for SDP unless they also claim a qualifying benefit like PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance.
  • Girlhappy
    Hi Poppy, i do live alone in a 1 bedroom cottage.and i do get the daily living award thru pip.And no one gets any carer allowance for me. the last time i was on pip i got the sdp, but they said no this time, and there was only 4 months between claims. so i might try phoning them again to make sure. Thanks for the advice. Take care.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi @Girlhappy yes from what you say it sounds like a possible boob on the part of the DWP - as you say if you give them a call they should be able to sort this out fairly easily...
    The Benefits Training Co:

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Oh dear @Girlhappy! the word that has been starred out above was NOT an obscenity I assure you!! but perhaps the word 'error' would be more agreeable to the computer system!

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

• Girlhappy
    Hi, i did understand what the stars meant. thanks for the advice, i will give DWP a call and i will update result on here. Thanks and take care.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @poppy123456 I live with 5 other people in a shared house. They're just housemates, and they don't care for me. Can I get SDP? 
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Waylay said:
    @poppy123456 I live with 5 other people in a shared house. They're just housemates, and they don't care for me. Can I get SDP? 
    I would have said so. 
    I got it but it took them two years to realise they hadn't!
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.