Hi, my name is Big_nelly! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Big_nelly!

Big_nelly
Big_nelly Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello community

Comments

• Big_nelly
    Big_nelly Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, my name is Neil. I’ve been in receipt of DLA for over 10yrs. I rely solely on my Motability vehicle. I use a wheelchair, stand aid and a frame for support! I’ve recently transistioned from DLA to PIP. This morning in the Mail was the decision! It was absolutely appalling. The lady who assessed me has blatantly given wrong information. And because of this I was only awarded standard rate care 11/12 points. And standard Mobility 10/12 points. I wasn’t examined physically. Therefore she’s made the wrong judgement call! Just because I’m intelligent and can hold a conversation she’s absolutely categorically neglected my care needs and my mobility needs. In assessment I attended the interview with my younger brother who takes care of me several days a week! And my sister who works in the nhs tends to my bandages, wounds and compression. My mother cooks my meals. And various family members do my chores. I explained to the lady about my bandaging and the time it takes. Yet on the decision it states I was only awarded 2points because my treatment takes no longer than 3.5hrs per week! ( absolute joke ) my brother/sister who both work come an gets me up! Take off the soiled smelly padding off! Wash & bathe my wounds. Re-dress. Then put layers of compression on. My kerraped shoes are then put on! That takes approximately 1-2hrs depending on severity. An that’s just the morning. The compression has to come off at night! My brother stressed vehemently the time it takes to perform these tasks in the assessment. I was only awarded 10 points for mobility. This is ludicrous. I was also given 0 points out of 8 for being able to plan a journey and travel alone. Which is totally hypocritical as I needed my family members to get to the assessment. Has this happened to anybody else. I really don’t know what I’m gonna do! I really need some advice! 
    Kindest regards, 
    Neil
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Neil @Big_nelly and a warm welcome to the community. Glad to have you but so sorry to read of the tough time you're having, and so tired of reading similar accounts of assessors' incompetence/dishonesty or whatever it is.
    I'm not qualified to advise you, really, on what is best to do next. so I'm going to refer your post 'upward' to folks who know a lot more than I do and hopefully they will get back to you soon.
    Do keep in touch and keep us up to date with how you're getting on.
    Warmest best wishes,
    @JennysDad

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.