Capita being helpful? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Capita being helpful?

Grumpy1954
Grumpy1954 Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
OK, been trying to organise my assessment, the original date/time clashed with a hospital appt, then I had a sever sickness and diahorrea bug. Called them to let them know I'm fit again, they know the places they offer are a PITA for disabled to access, and my wife and I need to help each other to dress, meds to take, then load a 4 wheel walker and a small electric scooter -so they offer next friday at 8.30am. I explained the above "again" and they suggested the 22nd at 9.20am.
I asked for a later appt, they say just keep calling in every couiple of days - or they can fit me in at Stoke on Trent at my convenience timewise. trouble is, SoT is much further away and I get lost there every time. I want to comply, but they don't make it easy.

Comments

• feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    Can you get someone else to call them? One thing i noticed is that government departments that like to fob people off tend to listen once other agencies get involved.
  • Gaina
    Gaina Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    What's your local MP like? A call from them might make the DWP bods more accommodating. ;)
  • Grumpy1954
    Thanks, both. My wife has spoken to them a couple of times, they did seem a bit more helpful. help otherwise is limited here, several organisations have lost funding. We do have a twice a week Thrive, who may help, they're pretty good.
    Last time I contacted the MP about disabled matters he told me it was out of his remit and forwarded it on to DWP, who were causing me the problems in the first place.
  • Gaina
    Thanks, both. My wife has spoken to them a couple of times, they did seem a bit more helpful. help otherwise is limited here, several organisations have lost funding. We do have a twice a week Thrive, who may help, they're pretty good.
    Last time I contacted the MP about disabled matters he told me it was out of his remit and forwarded it on to DWP, who were causing me the problems in the first place.

You are his constituent and whatever concerns you IS in his remit! The reason I suggested your MP is because I think someone else on this board got theirs involved and was successful in getting things moving along. Of course you could always go straight to the Organ Grinder, aka Sarah Newton, Minister for the Disabled. ?
  • Grumpy1954
    I like going for the Organ grinder, Churchill once made the mistake after nit picking and pulling my chain over a car insurance claim, of putting their MD contact details on the bottom of the letter, so I wrote directly to him, explained it, and told him imho his Shropshire manager was as much use as a chocolate teapot.
    Nearly 20 yrs later they still refuse to quote me......
  • Gaina
    I like your style :D
    I like going for the Organ grinder, Churchill once made the mistake after nit picking and pulling my chain over a car insurance claim, of putting their MD contact details on the bottom of the letter, so I wrote directly to him, explained it, and told him imho his Shropshire manager was as much use as a chocolate teapot.
    Nearly 20 yrs later they still refuse to quote me......

• Grumpy1954
    Well Capita really went out of their way, I asked for a copy of the report, recived 3 letters the same day.
    First was the report, full of interesting comments like "we saw him walk 4ft, he says he can walk 15m, so reasonable to assume he can walk 50m" I was given standard on both, which was the second letter, the decision,
    The third letter was Motobility asking for the car back, stating even if I plan to appeal (I do with strong GP support) they still want the car back.
    The GP's eyebrows went up into his hairline readinbg the reports, several times I heard "that's a hell of an assumption" and he's ordered a full physiotherapy examination with x rays while he check my records (around 10yrs) for a full fact back broadside. Could take up to 10 months, so I'm told. Thinking of getting a motorcycle till then I have a full licence and all the gear
  • Gaina
    Well Capita really went out of their way, I asked for a copy of the report, recived 3 letters the same day.
    First was the report, full of interesting comments like "we saw him walk 4ft, he says he can walk 15m, so reasonable to assume he can walk 50m" I was given standard on both, which was the second letter, the decision,
    The third letter was Motobility asking for the car back, stating even if I plan to appeal (I do with strong GP support) they still want the car back.
    The GP's eyebrows went up into his hairline readinbg the reports, several times I heard "that's a hell of an assumption" and he's ordered a full physiotherapy examination with x rays while he check my records (around 10yrs) for a full fact back broadside. Could take up to 10 months, so I'm told. Thinking of getting a motorcycle till then I have a full licence and all the gear

Have you had time to ring Motability yet? I once got a very abrupt letter (if I remember correctly I hadn't been able to book my car in for its annual check as I was ill) and it really upset me so I rang customer service and the Lady I spoke to couldn't have been nicer. ?

As far as the car goes I guess it comes down to weather you're better off giving the car back and getting 2k or keeping it a further 26 weeks and getting £250 back instead.

I'd give the motorbike a miss, though - it might not do your appeal much good if the DWP get wind of it. ?
  • Grumpy1954
    Gaina said:

Have you had time to ring Motability yet? I once got a very abrupt letter (if I remember correctly I hadn't been able to book my car in for its annual check as I was ill) and it really upset me so I rang customer service and the Lady I spoke to couldn't have been nicer. ?

As far as the car goes I guess it comes down to weather you're better off giving the car back and getting 2k or keeping it a further 26 weeks and getting £250 back instead.

I'd give the motorbike a miss, though - it might not do your appeal much good if the DWP get wind of it. ?
    It's £500 if I keep it longer than their date, on this they made it clear even if I'm appealing the car goes back first. Agreed motorcycles were about 30% of why my knees and hips as so bad now, but I know many disabled people who ride (check out the over 50 and still on 2 wheels group) and I see no reason why it should matter. My knees aren't taking any punishment (unless I fall off, will try to avoid that) Other than a minor difference in angle, no different from driving a car.
    I'm not talking about entering the Isle of Man TT, just pottering about locally.
  • Gaina
    Gaina said:

It's £500 if I keep it longer than their date, on this they made it clear even if I'm appealing the car goes back first. Agreed motorcycles were about 30% of why my knees and hips as so bad now, but I know many disabled people who ride (check out the over 50 and still on 2 wheels group) and I see no reason why it should matter. My knees aren't taking any punishment (unless I fall off, will try to avoid that) Other than a minor difference in angle, no different from driving a car.
    I'm not talking about entering the Isle of Man TT, just pottering about locally.

Yeah, falling off is never a good look. ? I'm just thinking about how utterly obtuse and vindictive the DWP can be....
  • Grumpy1954
    Gaina said:

Yeah, falling off is never a good look. ? I'm just thinking about how utterly obtuse and vindictive the DWP can be....
    Lol I threatened for the Assessment to rent a dirt bike and ride it into the building and up the stairs, my wife over ruled me so we used car then mobility scooter
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger

That reminds me when I couldn't afford to run a car years ago. Being of an age when a 1960's 250cc bike was for 'pottering around on' I bought a second hand RD250 twin. First time on the road the front wheel came off the deck! That was it, I parked up in a gateway to a field, got out my cigs and lit one with both hands shaking.
    The bike went in the garage and never saw the light of day again for another 8 years until it was sold when we moved.
  • Gaina
    Gaina said:

Lol I threatened for the Assessment to rent a dirt bike and ride it into the building and up the stairs, my wife over ruled me so we used car then mobility scooter
    ?
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Don't forget the dwp do make sweeping assumptions.
    If you can ride a bike they might think you are capable of flying a plane as well.
    It's just a case of pressing buttons and moving that stick thing. You would then be very mobile depending on where you choose to land it. 
     :D  :*
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Grumpy1954
    whistles said:
    Don't forget the dwp do make sweeping assumptions.
    If you can ride a bike they might think you are capable of flying a plane as well.
    It's just a case of pressing buttons and moving that stick thing. You would then be very mobile depending on where you choose to land it. 
     :D  :*
    Don't give me ideas, bombing run on the assessment centres anyone?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.