Support for my son after he turns 18 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Support for my son after he turns 18

Geordiegirl123
Geordiegirl123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
joined this group to try and support my son who is 18 in October , when he reaches 18 I’m realising that all his days out and activity days suddenly disappear, I’m not sure what is out there for him, He has severe learning difficulties. I’m trying to carve out a direction for him  to help him. 

I’m stumbling in the dark at the moment arranging respite as his respite centre has been closed down, trying to get calls back from social workers is shocking. It’s like he has been hung out to dry. He is transitioning from children’s services to adult services early so he does not have to change in a few months. This is where I am at, would also like to hear other people’s experiences as there must be huge amounts of us all having similar experiences.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Geordiegirl123

Welcome to our online community/family..

It’s great to meet you today.

We have got some info that might be helpful for you here on our site.

I have posted a link below for you.

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/families-hub

Please please let me know if I can help help you further with things?????

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Sharon @Geordiegirl123 and a warm welcome to the community. Very glad you've found us and I hope we can find ways to be of help. My own disabled child died before her fifth birthday, but the fear we felt before that event as to what would happen to her if she lived beyond childhood is something it is not easy to forget.

I'm here and listening if I can be of any help. You might also have a look at the .
    Parents and carers thread and see if there are any conversations there that interest you.

And I have no doubt that other members will be in touch as your message filters through to them.

Hope some of this is of some help.
    Warmest best wishes to you and your son,
    @JennysDad

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    edited June 2018
    Hi @Geordiegirl123

Welcome to the community. We get many people contacting us with similar enquiries - it certainly seems like there is less support for adults than children, so it can be a worrying time, and we're hoping to provide more information on our site soon. There are a few useful websites that would be worth a look. 

The Council for disabled children run the Transition information network  which has lots of info on organisations and activities he may be able to get involved with. There's also Preparing for adulthood from the DfE, they have info and hold events etc.

Hope that helps.
  • Geordiegirl123
    Geordiegirl123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thankyou so much I’ll look into them 

Brightness