My PIP experience and starting a petition for equal rights for disabled people! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My PIP experience and starting a petition for equal rights for disabled people!

sue1965
sue1965 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
Hello, I am writing to you because of my new circumstances. I am disabled with quite a few medical issues. I recently lost my tribunal on 17th May for getting my PIP re-instated back to what I was originally awarded 13 points for daily living and 20 points for my mobility, this allowed me to be independent and pay for higher priced food and utilities as I am unable to carry out tasks others do easily. I have now been awarded standard care. I thought the judicial system was supposed to be unbiased? My experience was very different; I am sure I would have been treated better if I was a criminal. I informed them due to my disabilities I have terrible trouble remembering and concentrating, this was dismissed as not applying to my cases. There were many things judged and dismissed, mainly by the judge with the doctor rapidly asking questions but not allowing me enough time to think and answer. Because of this my appeal was rejected and now I am struggling daily. Losing my car was the only independence I really had. I did rely on a friend as my advocate, unfortunately he passed away 2 days after my tribunal and was unable to attend due to his health. Without him I now rely on my brother for everything I have to leave the house for as I cannot walk far, am unable to get to buses (even if I could use them). I can no longer go to my support groups, pop out if I run low on groceries or anything that requires me to travel. I am housebound made so by the system that is supposed to help people like myself to be able to maintain some semblance of PERSONAL INDEPENDENCE.  I am lost and life has always been a struggle as I have had my disabilities for many years, now I am dependant on others to even pick up a loaf of bread. How is this system fair? Where do I go now everything has been taken away? I cannot even attend my church or practice my faith as a christian which I have had the honour of dong for 13 years or more. I cannot even get to the church up the top of my street, let alone my regular church where I have attended almost every week for many years. Also my bible study group has closed as I am unable to run it. My life is now an existence. Is there any help out there for someone in my position as I am unable to afford legal assistance. 

I am going to start a petition but am in need of others to help forward it to get more signatures and experiences from others. I in no way agree with the process of benefits and how they are decided for disabled people like myself. Any ideas or advice etc is greatly needed and appreciated to help it go forward to hopefully change the way we are treated. 

Comments

• Angiebabes2410
    Angiebabes2410 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    Unfortunately due to some greedy cheats that abuse the system and the politicians who think they can get away with giving people less so they can look good and use more of the money for themselves. They seem to think they can force people to go out to work which is ok for those who can work but those of us who would love to feel like part of society but just can't causes more and more issues such as depression and anxiety  
  • Grumpy1954
    Grumpy1954 Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    You have my sympathy, just had my PiP decision with similar results along with a Motobility letter asking for the car back. Most of my input was ignored or twisted, there were a great many assumptions, ie he says he can walk 15m therefore we assume he can walk 50m" Total bull and imho criminal.
    How are we supposed to attend medical appts, shop, collect prescriptions, post letters?  anything that involves going outdoors further than we can.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    . They seem to think they can force people to go out to work which is ok for those who can work but those of us who would love to feel like part of society but just can't causes more and more issues such as depression and anxiety  
    At what age do you think that the DWP should stop forcing people into work?
    Would you think that being 70 is too old? If so what do we do - we are too old to go to work and not disabled enough to claim any benefits for the disability we have.
  • Angiebabes2410
    Angiebabes2410 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    I think it is rediculous that we are expected to be scrutinised and made to feel like we are trying to con them into giving us money. I wish i could go out to work and feel useful. I think they should give PIP indefinitely like DLA if they can see that our medical conditions are never going to get better and save paying someone to do these face to face assessments especially over the age of 65
  • Grumpy1954
    Grumpy1954 Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    I agree, I'm 64, never going to get better, only worse - and they want to review me every 3 yrs !
  • shirley1952
    shirley1952 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I can only offer sympathy words are hard to find how disabled people are treated only recently depression has now been recognised as condition and they have to take this into consideration and they are having to 're access a lot of cases who are these people who keep getting there decisions so wrong 
  • Yadnad
    I agree, I'm 64, never going to get better, only worse - and they want to review me every 3 yrs !
    Likewise I have had 3 pip assessments since turning 65 in 2013 and two awards eventually - Enhanced Mobility & Care of 3 years each, reviewed every 2 years. After the 3rd assessment I gave up because (a) I couldn't continue to put up with the stress of it all and (b) the thought that I would have these assessments every two years for the rest of my life.
  • Yadnad
    I can only offer sympathy words are hard to find how disabled people are treated only recently depression has now been recognised as condition and they have to take this into consideration and they are having to 're access a lot of cases who are these people who keep getting there decisions so wrong.

It's not that the decisions are wrong as they are based on how the DWP view and interpret the law. If the DWP followed the footsteps of the Tribunals who assess each case based on the actual law then the majority of the DWP decisions would be right.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.