Should I ask for a psychiatric assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I ask for a psychiatric assessment?

brodiemaisie
brodiemaisie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I am being treated with antidepressants as I suffer from anxiety and depression. However, my most troublesome symptoms are periods of extreme irritability and agitation followed by feelings of worthlessness and suicidal or self harming thoughts. I wonder if I might be bipolar or have some sort of personality disorder. I am 57 and have lashed out at various times of stress throughout my adult life. Maybe it is a bit late for me to gain any benefit from a diagnosis this late in life. I am currently off work and am worried I may never work again. Not sure how I will manage financially when my sick pay runs out. Any comments will be welcome. 

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Ask your GP to referral you to a mental health team who will assess you to decide the best person to see.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    Yes. Please do, I’ve struggled for 12yrs being told it’s jut depression and anxiety, but like you I had many other symptoms, GP agreed when I was a breaking point that there is more going on and simply throwing medication at me isn’t the answer. I’ve just been diagnosed with severe depression, GAD, borderline personality disorder and complex PTSD! Now I am getting a treatment plan tailored to my specific conditions and I am starting my journey of getting better, or being the best version of me that I can be! I know this isn’t going to be a easy task, I have many demons to confront head on, but slowly I will get there. I wish you all the best for the future. Xx
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    In most areas there is a self referral system in place. Here it is an 03 number. Try searching online for a local referral system.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you female? Could this be the menopause. Either way go and see your see your gp and see what they feel.
    We can't diagnose you here.  :)
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • brodiemaisie
    brodiemaisie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for all of your replies. I am seeing my GP (after much ado and repeated calls) this afternoon. Did not expect or ask for a diagnosis from this forum, just some feedback. Went through menopause 4 years ago but who knows if the effects are perhaps still impacting. Will ask when I see my GP. 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @brodiemaisie,
    good luck at your appointment,

Brightness