Just got out of hospital, in serious debt and struggling to live on what I'm getting — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just got out of hospital, in serious debt and struggling to live on what I'm getting

Jackie61
Jackie61 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
I have just got out of hospital after emergency surgery and struggling to live on the pittance I'm getting. I'm getting into serious debt and don't know where to turn

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Jackie61 and a warm welcome to the community. So very sorry to hear you are experiencing such difficulties.
    I can't help directly, but I'm going to forward your post to our benefits team and, things being as bad as they sound, you might like to call us on our free advice line number 0808 800 3333.
    Warmest best wishes 
    @JennysDad
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I think a lot of the possible answers would depend on what you had done, what the initial problem was, whether the problem is now "cured" and whether you will be able to function normally from now on.

Sorry not to be of much help and I don't mean you should tell us your life story. Perhaps such information would be needed by the benefits team so please consider at least explaining to them.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Jackie61
    I was in hospital for 2 months. I had emergency surgery and put into a coma for 2 weeks, fought pneumonia and sepsis and came out with a stoma( to keep it short). I am now 3 stone underweight and lacking muscle. I was working before I went in hospital, but I currently couldn't even walk the 5 minutes it takes to get to work. I also have COPD. 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @Jackie61, just wanted to say, I hope you get the debt problems sorted and wishing you a speedy recovery 
  • Jackie61
    Have spoken to step change and got a lot of good advice  :) being assessed for PIP next week, so here's hoping things start looking up, financially at least.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.