Mobility — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility

923peanuts
923peanuts Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Am l being discriminiated against ,l was born in 1947 and was told those born earlier they can keep there mobility , also people younger can apply and receive ,so a portion of people  can't get it ,the woman on the phone said they expected people over 70 should expect . mobility problems ,lhave had mobility problems nearly all  my life and worked in agony ,can this be right .

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @923peanuts, as I understand it if you are claiming DLA or PIP before retirement age and as long as you are still meeting the benefit criteria for claim that benefit you can continue to claim, receive that benefit after retirement  as long as you meet the benefit claiming criteria. But no new claims for mobility can be made after retirement age but you can claim the daily care component. I am sure a fellow member will correct me if I have mislead , quoted.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Wilko is spot on here. PIP has replaced DLA and is for people 65 and under. If you don't currently claim DLA then you won't be able to claim PIP. Attendance allowance is what you can claim and mobility isn't included with this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 923peanuts
    How do l claim dla
  • 923peanuts
    The point is are a select few aged people born after 1945 are missing the payment that other disabled aged pensioners  born before 1945 are receiving ,l call it discrimination ,what do you think .
  • poppy123456
    The point is are a select few aged people born after 1945 are missing the payment that other disabled aged pensioners  born before 1945 are receiving ,l call it discrimination ,what do you think .
    No, i don't call it discrimination. If a person claimed it before they reached 65 then they'll continue to receive after. If they didn't claim it before this they can't claim it after.

As for your other question. For those aged between 16-65 you can't claim DLA anymore because it no longer exists. DLA was changed to PIP and the age criteria is the same as DLA was 16 - 65. If you're 65 or over then it's Attendance Allowance you claim and this does not have the mobility part, it only has the care part to it. https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • 923peanuts
    That's what l mean has some claim both?
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    If you were 65 on the 8th April 2013 you will continue to claim DLA - PIP will not be an option.
    You cannot claim DLA  or PIP if this is your first claim AND you were born after the above date you would claim Attendance Allowance instead, Attendance Allowance does not have a mobility element (unlike PIP & DLA) as it is expected that those who are over 65 will have mobility issues not because they are disabled but because they are getting old.
  • 923peanuts
    Surely those who were born before 1945 have age issues,so what's the difference ,l have had health issues all my life not just age wise ,l was born in 1947,it's interesting to hear your views ,so paying stamps and tax does not help in later life ,l still feel like it's discrimination ,thanks for your views.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Surely those who were born before 1945 have age issues,so what's the difference ,l have had health issues all my life not just age wise ,l was born in 1947,it's interesting to hear your views ,so paying stamps and tax does not help in later life ,l still feel like it's discrimination ,thanks for your views.
    What does being born before 1945 matter when looking at PIP/DLA or AA?

The only two dates that matter are 8th April 2013 - for those already on DLA AND are 65 or older 
    And reaching the age of 65 when you cannot claim PIP, you must claim AA instead.

As for the former date I have a friend/colleague who was over 65 on the 8th April 2013, in fact he was 67. As such he will never be asked to claim PIP and retains his right to DLA for as long as he qualifies. He claimed in 2007 when he was 61 to make sure he had it as he grew older (the mobility element was important to him for the Motability car). He never had an assessment and since 2007 he has never had to prove the care that he needs nor the distance he can walk - it was all done from the claim form and a letter from his GP.

• poppy123456
    I'm sorry to hear of your issues in your life but is there any reasons why you didn't claim before you reached 65?

Unfortunately, paying your NI and tax won't help you here. A disability benefit isn't means tested.

Discrimination or not i'm afraid that's the rules. As explained a few times if you were born before 1945 then you can't claim PIP, it's AA and that doens't have mobility.
  • 923peanuts
  • poppy123456
    ????
    All your questions have been answered, is there anything else you need help with?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.