Will I be asked to have another medical? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will I be asked to have another medical?

steveguest1
steveguest1 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, I have been on ESA support group since 2015, I have worried about being asked to have another medical. But 3 weeks ago I was told that I qualify for serious disability payment. So do you think I will be left alone now? I have emphysema.

Comments

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Sdp will likely be because you have been awarded pip standard care and nobody is claiming carers allowance for you.
    It's nothing to do with esa medicals. 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • steveguest1
    i have pip enhanced rate and mobility at the highest rate
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Medicals are unrelated to the premiums. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • steveguest1
    so what your saying is it does not matter what my condition is, they will ask me for a reassessment medical. 
  • Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    @steveguest1 no some illness's are exempt if you are in the support group 

In addition to this, you must also meet the following four criteria:

1. Your level of function must be consistent enough to always meet Low Capability for Work. This means you are unlikely to meet this criterion if you have periods of reasonable function.
    2. The condition must be lifelong once diagnosed.
    3. There must be no realistic prospect of future function.
    4. It is an unambiguous condition.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi steveguest1

Just to confirm what whistles is saying - the severe disability premium on ESA is paid where the person lives on their own (there are  exceptions to this condition), gets daily living PIP, and no-one gets carers allowance for looking after them.  

ESA assessments continue as before, though in some cases it is possible to be placed in a  "severe conditions" group for this benefit where no further assessments are done. This in itself requires an assessment to get that established though.

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/sites/default/files/pdf/Severeconditionsguidance.pdf

Very confusing.

Gill_Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.