Parkinson’s and MS patients spared benefit retesting in U-turn — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Parkinson’s and MS patients spared benefit retesting in U-turn

Comments

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Well that's a step in right direction 
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    This is good but they do not care what your condition is. That's been drilled into us.
    I don't get excited anymore they've done the same with ESA. But they are scrapping the IR and UC migration means assessments!!  :(

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    I thought with UC we’d all be naturally migrated @whistles?
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    whistles said:
    This is good but they do not care what your condition is. That's been drilled into us.
    I don't get excited anymore they've done the same with ESA. But they are scrapping the IR and UC migration means assessments!!  :(

I genuinely thought that with PIP what your condition is means nothing, it is the impact that it has on your life. You don't even need a diagnosis to get PIP.

So we are backtracking - the DWP are starting to come up with a list of conditions that this will apply to.

Then they say that those with Enhanced awards, both components AND have a (any) condition that will never give rise to an improvement in abilities will also be included??

Many Tribunal hearings and JR's will be the order of the day if this particular idea gets off the ground.

This idea is about as crazy as making all face to face assessments video recorded. How are they intent in enforcing that for those that are extremely nervous in front of a camera?

There is no need for any of these ideas. All that should happen is for the DWP to look at each case sympathetically using good common sense and dealing with each individual on a case by case basis.
  • Gaina
    Gaina Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    edited June 2018
    Yadnad said:

Then they say that those with Enhanced awards, both components AND have a (any) condition that will never give rise to an improvement in abilities will also be included??

This is a good question, and one I had asked myself.

Many moons ago my Disability Employment Advisor recommended I apply for Incapacity Benefit because at the time anyone with Spina Bifida automatically qualified for it because SB doesn't improve. I ended up being on it for NI contributions only.

Ironically I stopped claiming it because it was the beginning of this type of assessment and I felt I just couldn't go through the humiliation at the time.

Reforming this system should have *started* with putting everyone with permanent disabilities to one side and dealing with other cases first.
  • whistles
    Yadnad said:
    whistles said:

I genuinely thought that with PIP what your condition is means nothing, it is the impact that it has on your life. You don't even need a diagnosis to get PIP.

So we are backtracking - the DWP are starting to come up with a list of conditions that this will apply to.

Many Tribunal hearings and JR's will be the order of the day if this particular idea gets off the ground.

This idea is about as crazy as making all face to face assessments video recorded. How are they intent in enforcing that for those that are extremely nervous in front of a camera?

There is no need for any of these ideas. All that should happen is for the DWP to look at each case sympathetically using good common sense and dealing with each individual on a case by case basis.
    I don't see how the no diagnosis can work though.
    How do you prove your condition effects you this way and that, if you do not show it exists in the first place. 
    We will be going back to how DLA was probably. The system isn't working this way. 
  • whistles
    edited June 2018
    niknoo said:
    I thought with UC we’d all be naturally migrated @whistles?
    Yes we will. But that doesn't mean we won't have reviews. UC doesn't mention exemptions.
    I know people who migrated from incapacity to esa, then they got moved to wrag and had benefits cut. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    Ah yes that makes sense! Xx
  • whistles
    And to be exempt its about your condition.  So I bang my head on the virtual wall because the criteria we get told is in fact about whether you can do ANY job-ESA.

Is the reason why so many claimants need to appeal be because it actually IS slowly going to need to change to be about some conditions. 
  • Yadnad
    I have read today that only people awarded enhanced rates on both mobility & daily care will be spared an in depth review.
    it doesn’t matter what illness you have
    Interesting view point.
    So  having numerous issues (medical & mental) that will never improve (says a doctor employed by the DWP who assessed me in 2011 for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit - mental health) alongside the same view given by the spinal unit as well as another consultant who monitors the damage to my internal organs I do seem to fit that part of the statement.

Then having been DLA High Mobility & Care and having had two determinations that I be awarded PIP Enhanced Care & Mobility but only for two years at a time and then find that the 3rd PIP review and agreed at MR that I should be offered 0 points I should have been given a 10 year award back in 2013. As it is now the DWP's decision to remove all of my PIP award earlier this year is I get nothing. 
  • Yadnad

I don't see how the no diagnosis can work though.
    How do you prove your condition effects you this way and that, if you do not show it exists in the first place. 
    We will be going back to how DLA was probably. The system isn't working this way. 
    It is a fact that for PIP you do not need to have a diagnosis just confirmation that the medical issue you have causes you to have disabilities that fit the relevant descriptors

• whistles
    edited June 2018
    They dismissed one of my issues because I hadn't provided proof of meds for it and wasnt receiving outside input for it-therfore they decided I didn't have the problem to start with.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.