Confused about PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confused about PIP

Options
cazzyb
cazzyb Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Due to a change in my circumstances I have been switched over to PIP from DLA.  I made my claim in April and today (20th June) I have been advised that my claim has been accepted and will commence on 11th July.  Now I'm confused.  It's bad enough that they won't backpay the difference in amounts but to choose a random date in the future to commence the benefit seems odd.  Surely I should receive the benefit from the date the decision is made.  
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Thanks in anticipation. 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi Cazzyb as long as you sent the PIP form back on time there shouldn't be a gap between DLA ending and PIP starting, so if PIP isn't starting until 11th July, then surely your DLA will be continuing until then?

If there was any delays with forms etc that meant a gap between claims then it may be another matter...

The Benefits Training Co:

• cazzyb
    Options
    My argument to this is if they have made the decision to award the PIP then why is there a 3 week delay?  The Pip is at a higher rate than the DLA so I am losing at least 3 weeks extra pay. If the decision has been made that I am entitled to the higher rate due to my illness then who decides that I'm not ill until July.   In my opinion the extra amount should be backdated to April when I made the claim.  I understand that argument that you can't receive both benefits but I still feel it is unfair.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @cazzyb I can clear this one up for you the reasons behind this. As your paid in arrears 4 weeks as a rule, if you see when my DLA changed to PIP and my PIP is higher than my old DLA and to note as your PIP is a higher rate there is no backdated amounts paid.

So your lower DLA will end as PIP starts.

See my screenshot of mine and I hope you can understand why now.

⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• cazzyb
    Options
    @Governments_A_Joke ...... this does make sense.  I still feel it's unfair.  I wonder if I contacted them to report a change which would mean a decrease in benefits if it would take almost 10 weeks to action that.
    But yes i do see now how they have arrived at that date.
    Thank you all for your help.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited June 2018
    Options
    cazzyb said:
    @Governments_A_Joke ...... this does make sense.  I still feel it's unfair.  I wonder if I contacted them to report a change which would mean a decrease in benefits if it would take almost 10 weeks to action that.
    But yes i do see now how they have arrived at that date.
    Thank you all for your help.

@cazzyb Glad to help,  you now understand it further and your right it's unfair. But we will always be at a loss with this system and Government.

just curious how long did they award you PIP for.

Once your Payment starts on PIP you will be ok, also to never do a change of CC unless it vital to do otherwise you could be worse off it's a double edge sword with this system.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• cazzyb
    Options
    At the moment I've still not received the award letter.  I am aware of the award because I've heard from ESA and also my local council.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.