Chronic sciatic pain- please help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Chronic sciatic pain- please help

Sophie57
Sophie57 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Chronic back pain.

Comments

• Sophie57
    Sophie57 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi I have degenerative spine and regular slip discs, chronic sciatic pain and fibromyalgia, I  have had these for 30+ years, a few weeks ago I went to pain clinic and the first thing they did was suggest to GP reduce oxycodone, I'm only on 45mg a day I'm a ashtmatic so can't take anything else or a higher dose, some days I'm in such a mess I struggle to go on, now I've been dropped down to 30mg daily and can't go out hardly, apart from asthma meds I dontd take anything else and DRs say there is nothing they can give me to replace oxycodone. I tried to tell pain clinic the oxycodone was for the sciatic pain but they sat recent wisdom is that oxycodone does not work for fibromyalgia or sciatic pain, am really worried don't know what I'm going to do without pain relief my pain levels have already doubled in last three weeks, first time in years I've thought of ending the pain once and for all. There seems to be a scare about chronic pain users getting hooked but I've stuck to my low dose for four years now and never gone up, just don't know what I'm supposed to do now?
  • Sandygal
    Sandygal Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Its awful being in so much pain have you tried CBD oil you can buy it in health shops its meant to be good Sophie57 .
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sophie57, welcome to the community! It's great to have you here.

I'm so sorry to hear you're suffering- I know it can feel really isolating to live with chronic pain. If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org. You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself.

Hopefully our community members and @ClaireSaul will be able to offer some practical suggestions, and I hope at the very least you some find comfort in knowing that you're not alone, too. Please do keep us updated and let us know how you're getting on.
  • brentus
    brentus Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    I know its a bit late but i have degenerative bone disease and a bulging or slipped disc caused me permanent nerve damage,i have sciatica in both legs,numbness,loss  of power and muscle spasms to name a few,you know what i mean.After being written off by 3 doctors a new doctor 2 years ago decided that at 44 i was too young for that,thankfully,and started me down the road to where i am now. I am taking 180mg of zomorph a day,3600mg of gabapentin and 30mg of amitriptyline a day.The gabapentin has helped a lot,the morphine not as much and im currently trying to reduce that. After 2 surgeries they decided nothing more could be done to fix me,3 damaged nerves now,2 in right 1 in left leg.I have just been selected to have a spinal stimulator fitted,its been around a while but this is a recent high frequency unit that goes under your skin with 2 leads attaching to your spine,these are meant to block the pain signals from your back and legs going to the brain,thus reducing pain. Apparently with excellent results so far. Its a Nevro HF10 spinal stimulator.  Look into it,its worth mentioning it and if not that have you tried gabapentin ? I will post a thread once mines fitted with how its going. Its a last resort for me,ive been on crutches for a few years and the hope is i could get down to stopping the morphine and only need a walking stick. It could be a light at the end of the tunnel for you,i dont know,but never give up hope.We may think we are useless some days but someone out there needs us.Good look and keep positive.

Brightness