ESA stopped after assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA stopped after assessment

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Your next step is the MR request and you have 28 days to request this. I'd advise sending in evidence to support your claim. Contact your local CAB who will help you with this.

Most MR decisions remain the same so you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal.

You can't just re-apply for ESA unless either your condition has got extremely worse or your apply for a completely new condition. If you did just re-apply with the same condition your application will be refused and you won't be paid any money. You're much better off asking for the MR and then Tribunal, if needed.

If your area isn't a full Universal Credit area you can claim JSA while you're waiting for the MR decision. When you claim JSA you can have an extended 13 weeks with a fit/sick note. If you do this i'd advise handing in the fit note on your 2nd JSA appointment.

First you'll need to check if UC is in your area, if it is then it's this you need to claim and not JSA. If you claim UC then you won't be able to go back onto ESA.

Check your area here.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 14 Connected
  • poppy123456
    The CAB adviser is correct, but it's your choice whether you send more evidence at this stage.

If you claim JSA while you wait for the MR decision you would hand in a fit note and can do this for a maximum 13 weeks. See this link.

You asked how you're going to help your family, claiming JSA with a fit note is the only way you'll receive money while you wait. If the MR decision remains the same once the Tribunal accept your request and send you a reference number you can go back onto ESA, providing this is the first time you've been found fit for work.

You say your family is struggling to pay bills and rent. Maybe they should visit their local CAB for a benefits check to see what they could claim, if anything.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 14 Connected
  • poppy123456
    When the Tribunal accept your appeal and you go back onto assessment rate, you'll need fit/sick notes from your GP to be able to claim the ESA again. If you choose not claim JSA you can ask for your ESA to be back dated to when it stopped BUT you'll need those fit/sick notes to be from that date.

No you won't have to pay the money back if Tribunal find you fit for work.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.