PIP mobility- is this length of award normal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP mobility- is this length of award normal?

kittykat
kittykat Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
This discussion was created from comments split from: PIP and work.

Comments

• kittykat
    kittykat Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi just been awarded Pip mobility my length of award is only to July 2019. Is this normal as I know my condition wont get any better.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @Kittykat, hello and welcome to the community of like minded people look fo and giving their hep advice or opinions on question or comments being asked or raised. It seems a short period of only 12 mths not heard of this before is it standard or enhanced mobility award? There may be a mistake or an hidden agenda not just for you but  for all those getting mobility allowance. You could ring DWP for clarification on the time span awarded as why such a short time maybe they are trying to,do annual award that way you can't have a mobility car as these are offered I believe when an award is for three years or more, just a thought .
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    kittykat said:
    Hi just been awarded Pip mobility my length of award is only to July 2019. Is this normal as I know my condition wont get any better.

Did you have to go to appeal?

I understand that they can issue 9 month awards upwards. Whilst yours is at least 14 months from what I also understand the DWP will start to review it 12 months earlier. Thus you should be expecting to be reassessed at anytime from July this year onwards.
  • Yadnad
    DWP will make the shortest possible award unless you specifically ask them to do otherwise. Before you do anything you should get face to face advice about whether your existing award has been made on a sound basis. If it’s not really at risk then ask for a review of the length and ask them to identify the evidence they have used which justifies a short award.

Do NOT assume your award is safe. Get advice before you do anything.

Hi Mike, I know we have touched on this subject before but it still concerns me as to why they would actually give the shortest award possible even if the medical and other evidence shows that such an award is not justified?

• Yadnad
    edited May 2018
    Fundamental aspect of the PIP reform. Constant review. If you make longer awards you don’t get constant review.

Ideologically driven IMO. 
    Ah I see now - it is far more important to the DWP to follow the reforms than it is to be objective when viewing the evidence.

The idea of awarding the right award (content & length) first time takes second place to the ideology behind PIP. Something feels rather similar to Germany in the mid 30's.
  • Yadnad
    Jeez - the more I learn of the DWP the more I am glad that being of the age I am I am better off without their involvement in my life.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    My award at tribunal is standard rate mobility  until November 2019 which is a two year award backdated. I had hoped for the regular 3 year period and it’s come as a shock to me. I’m too scared of losing to fight the time period. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,321 Disability Gamechanger
    If it was awarded by the Tribunal, a lot of the time there is no review 1 year before the award ends. The claimant is sent a letter 3 months before the award is due to end asking if they wish to continue to claim PIP they need to re-apply. This could be what has happened here.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.