DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP

Marcia54
Marcia54 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Hi i am new on this forum, wanted some advice on who i can contact if i do not Qualify for PIP. Been on DLA since 2003 recently had to claim for PIP, the assessor i had last week did not want to look at medical evidence i brought with me she was so miserable also calling my friend who accompanied me to the assessment "rude" after reading other people's stories i have that feeling i will be failed. I wanted to know if there is anyone who will fight on my behalf if this happens.
Thankyou.

Comments

• communications
    communications Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Go to Citizens Advice Center. Am in the same boat with my partner. Make sure you photocopy everything,appointments,letters,diagnosis,prescriptions. Would also get a letter of your GP. When you send it off send it Special Recorded Delivery. Don't send it normal or just delivery,you need a signature for it,so you have proof. The Assessor was the same with my partner and myself,but the Assessor lied saying it was a straight forward process from DLA to PIPs. My partner has a rare form of bladder cancer and we got told we could be waiting up to 7/9 months. Think positive and go and see CAB and take everything with you. 
  • Marcia54
    Marcia54 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Anything of importance i always get photocopied, they stopped my DLA a couple of years ago for no reason at all i appealed & won my case through Community legal services in Newcastle but they are no longer open. Because of my health issues i need help if there is need for me to appeal, unfortunately CAB is never open where i live and phones never answered. The medical evidence and a letter i took to the assessment from my GP she refused to look at? I sent plenty of evidence also with claim form, could it be she refused to look at the extra evidence as she had enough to go on? So stressed waiting for a copy of her report and the decision outcome. ?
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Marcia54 said:
    Hi i am new on this forum, wanted some advice on who i can contact if i do not Qualify for PIP. Been on DLA since 2003 recently had to claim for PIP, the assessor i had last week did not want to look at medical evidence i brought with me she was so miserable also calling my friend who accompanied me to the assessment "rude" after reading other people's stories i have that feeling i will be failed. I wanted to know if there is anyone who will fight on my behalf if this happens.
    Thankyou.
    Most people have to fight the DWP through the Tribunal Service on their own or with a friend.
    I would be very surprised if you could find anybody nowadays on a professional level who would take over the fight for you.
    You may be lucky and manage to get to see someone at the CAB, but that in itself is a post code lottery.
    I had 3 face to face assessments, two MR's and a whole load of forms to fill in without any help from anybody. I had no idea if what I was doing was right or wrong - I just struggled through.

It is doable but extremely stressful and time consuming. But you do have the option of giving it up at anytime. 
  • anthrax65
    anthrax65 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    @Marcia54

I am at the moment dealing with the CAB with regards to an appeal for ESA that I was refused twice. It is now going to a tribunal next month.
    The person that is helping me with the tribunal has said to me that if I have !my issues with my application for PIP just to give her a call and we will take that to the tribunal as well.
    I could get in touch with her and find out if there is a direct number that you can contact. From what I've read I understand that you are in Newcastle. If you can provide me with more info as to where you live. Then I will get back to you xxx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Marcia54 said:
    Thankyou.
    Hi,

Was there any reasons why you didn't send the evidence with the form? They very often refuse to accept evidence on the day of the assessment. If you are refused then it's the MR request first and i'd advise sending evidence with the letter of request. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Although the guidance says that they are supposed to accept evidence given to them on the day.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @Marcia54!

All the best for your outcome, and know that if it's not what you're hoping for, we'll do our best to advise and point you in the right direction here on the community.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.