DLA to PIP, lost my car — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP, lost my car

stoner
stoner Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited June 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I need some advice I have been on d l a for twenty years was given for life ,I have just been told to change to pip I have had medical .i have just got my results and they have taken my enhance payment away which means I have to give my adapted car back I’m so upset I had polio as a baby I use walking aids and on long journeys a wheel chair I don’t no what to do they have put it down to the low rate I lost it by 2 points it seems so unfair I’m going to be house and now and don’t think I can cope with it I’ve heard about appeals but don’t no how you do it can some one advise me thank you from Shirley 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @stoner

Welcome It’s great to meet you this morning.

I’m very very sorry to hear about your current situation/problems.

Believe me you are not on your own!!!!!

We have got some great info & I will put the link below for you.

https://search.scope.org.uk/s/redirect?collection=scope-meta&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fdisabled-people%2Fbenefits%2Fpip&index_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fdisabled-people%2Fbenefits%2Fpip&auth=OdCmUepX8Eu01lD6Q10Fhg&profile=_default&rank=1&query=Pip

• stoner
    To Steve 51thankyou for your help I have looked at what you have sent me and my daughter is going to go through it and help me .I cannot believe how wrong they put things down they never put I had adapted car or that I’m on strong pain killers every day they layed and said I put my hands behind my head , which she never once ask me to do this I had polio it affected both legs and my right arm why would she lye like that I can’t stop crying at the moment can’t sleep or eat knowing that once my car goes I’m housebound and my independents has gone I’ve bought my own wheelchair had my bungalow adapted our self all I beaded was to keep my car . I’ve now fallen and broke my right leg in 3 places and there saying they don’t no if I can get back on my feet again so I have this as well as someone who knows nothing about my daily fight to cope to say I can walk and don’t need my car sorry to go on but I’m so shocked that this has happened once again thanks for your help from Shirley 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Shirely/ @stoner, and a warm welcome to the community!

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately it's not uncommon, and many of our community members will be able to relate. I'd recommend having a read of Scope's guidance on appealing DWP decisions to get you started: have a read, and do come back to us with any questions.

https://youtu.be/4sOsiEFo-Ck
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, about 60% plus have their awards changed when taken to appeal, when I read posts like your it makes me wonder if the acessor has been told to lower your points to lower your score and stop people claiming a mobility car and so have to appeal. But many don't appeal  and thus lose their independence.

• stoner
    Thanks for your response yes I think that as well . But I have stoped crying now and am getting angry . So I’m not going to give up I have done my mandatory complaint in writing and has been sent of by recorded if I get no where with that then I will appeal and keep fighting I was going to not bother with them anymore but , while I do that it goes to people who don’t need it . And I’m so sorry to say I no this happened so have a relitive who works on her feet all day uses the bus the trains walked round London walks to the shops she was half mobility with d l a she got called in for change to p I p and she took sticks that she never uses and guess what they changed her to full mobility how in fair is that . I just don’t no how they do it the lady clearly could see my right leg is bad has no power in it at all that’s why I have adapted car all these years but she stated that I could walk with my aids ok she should try my day .trying to cook clean and everything else with to sticks day in and day out they have not got a clue these people who sit behind a desk and decide what points your entitled to . But I’m not giving in I will fight them every inch of my life to get my two points back sorry to go on but it’s the anger in me at the moment from Shirley x
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Like many, my mobility was reduced to standard but tribunal increased it to enhanced.  DWP don't think the disabled need cars!  Don't give up as 69% of appeals win.
  • stoner
    Thank you like I said I was going to give up and try to buy my own but with the price of my adaptions and my car insurance because I have a code on my license I don’t think I can afford it .So I have to fight for it glad to hear you got yours back ,the thing that worry’s me is how long the process is to appeal why this goes on I will be house band that’s what upsets me the most thanks for your reply from Shirley x
  • ataloss2018
    ataloss2018 Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
    Shocking how the HP lied about your circumstances and what took place during your assessment, but don't feel that your all alone as this happens all too often where assessors lie to get people off benefits or to reduce the award.  

Go to the MR stage and take it all the way to the tribunal service if unsuccessful, just last week the papers were reporting that 71% of appeals are successful, up from the previous year.

Try and involve your local MP and ask for a disability adviser to help you with the MR and appeals paperwork, it will take time to get the appeal heard but you can use this time to gather as much evidence as possible to support your claim.  Good luck and don't give up.
  • Jaytbm1
    Jaytbm1 Community member Posts: 72 Pioneering
    @stoner I am sorry that this has happened to you. As others have said you are not in your own. I really don’t know how they can reach the decisions that they do . It’s so wrong , keep fighting. I think they want us to give in . I am the same as you, waiting for an appeal date . Good luck, I hope you get your car back 
  • april123
    april123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    @stoner I had the same dla 15 years for life and been given 10 points. Car due back today but I'm going to appeal next date the car will have to go back is Oct but appeal won't be sorted by then as so many. 
  • Jaytbm1
    @april123 it is happening to so many people, I find it hard to believe that they are saving money. All the while causing stress and worry , making many disabled people worse .Good luck
  • april123
    april123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    @Jaytbm1 they shouldn't of been able to move the guildlines of 50 meters 12 points to 20 that's a big difference. They have looked into mental health so hopefully they will look a walking abily more fair.

• stoner
    What I don’t understand about all this is ,surly when you have your medical they can see when you walk in that you clearly have a disability with your legs .So how can they put you can walk 50 mtr with your walking aids .My daughter only lives round the corner to me and I’ve never been able to walk to her or walk to my post office up the rd she should try doing it with my crutches which I’ve used most of my life she wouldent last five minutes.How unfair this is to people with physical disabilities is this new pip it’s scary that people with no medical training can sit behind a desk and tell someone they have to be confined to the house now because they want to save money makes me so angry from Shirley 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Many assessors are incompetent and/or they tell lies.  It's that simple.  Their remit is to award as few points as possible to please their DWP clients.

My assessor decided that because she watched me walk 16m on a level, carpeted surface, using a stick, then I must be able to walk 20-50m outdoors, a ridiculous extrapolation. Tribunal agreed I could only walk up to 20m.

It is unfortunate that so many people have to go to tribunal to get the award they deserve.

Fortunately, my car was my own.  I recommend that, if people can, they buy their own cars.  Some dealers will give five years' interest-free credit on new car purchases.
  • Jaytbm1
    @Matilda , I agree wholeheartedly. Medical evidence is ignored and yes they lie about what you can do . It’s scandalous 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.