New member looking for advice on buying their first mobility scooter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New member looking for advice on buying their first mobility scooter

Spennylad
Spennylad Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Hi, My name is Tommy and have just joined this group. I had Polio at  the age of 1yr 10mths. I am now 65 but have suffered from the effects of Post Polio Syndrome for the last 20 years. my legs have weakened considerably in the last 2 years so I am now looking to buy a mobility Scooter which is how I came across this group. Having never owned a scooter previously I am looking for any advice anybody can give me. I rented a scooter on my last holiday and found it of great benefit. I look forward to being part of this group.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @Spennylad, welcome to the community! Just in case anybody missed your wall post and is looking for this information themselves, this Rica page may be a good starting point. Hopefully some of our other community members will be able to offer some suggestions too!
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Just saying hello and welcome @Spennylad. Good to have you with us.
    Best
    Richard
    @JennysDad
  • Spennylad
    Thanks Richard
  • Spennylad
    For the record I am looking to buy a scooter from Careco. It is a Li-Tech marathon which has a lithium Battery and is one of the lightest scooters on the market.  I’m hoping somebody on this group may have the same one and let me know what it’s like. It is fairly new so there may not be many owners on here yet, Careco are the only company I can find who is selling this scooter unless anybody knows different. 
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi Spennylad

I think CareCo are the UK distributor so if you decide to get one you would need to go to them.

The Living Made Easy website is a useful resource for comparing equipment from different manufacturers:  

http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/mobility and walking/class-2-four_wheeled-scooters-p/li_tech-air-plus-lithium-scooter-0119802-2104-information.htm

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Hi there!

I became more mobile about 18 months ago using a powered wheelchair due to the motobility scheme. 

We looked into scooters and chairs and it was too expensive and I have up hope... But the  I met someone at a concert who told me about motobility.... So forgive me if you already know all about it... But I didn't... Its been fab so I want to pass it on. 

If you claim higher rate DLA or PIP you can convert a small amount of this benefit into using the motobility scheme. I had heard of people using it to help get an adapted car... What I didn't know was that it can be used for a mobility scooter or chair.

I reapplied for my PIP as my back and pain had got worse.. Mit took a while but eventually I was awarded the upper bit of PIP.... 6 weeks later I had my chair and I've never looked back. 

I called up motobility... And it was very easy. They helped me choose a mobility shop and a lovely chap spent as long as I needed with me to see what I needed. I tried loads of different machine sout then I got a chair which is perfect  made to measure and suits our lives very well. 

It took about 5 weeks to be made and delivered. Meanwhile motobility sorted out all finance etc. 

If it's available to you I'd thoroughly recommend. Not just because it's been really good value but the support has been outstanding. Costs I hadn't even thought about like insurance, breakdown cover, maintenance and emergency repairs.... All taken care of.

If not available, have a look at local mobility centres but be aware these are for profit businesses and marking up is massive. 

Are you needing it all the time? Is it for getting from home to shops/community centre etc? Will you be needing public transport etc? Consider using a wheelchair too if you'll be inside shops etc with it. 

Best of luck keep us up to date
  • Spennylad

Hi Spennylad

I think CareCo are the UK distributor so if you decide to get one you would need to go to them.

The Living Made Easy website is a useful resource for comparing equipment from different manufacturers:  

http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/mobility and walking/class-2-four_wheeled-scooters-p/li_tech-air-plus-lithium-scooter-0119802-2104-information.htm

Best Wishes

Jean

Thanks Jean, that website is very useful.
    Regards,
    Tommy
  • Spennylad
    Hi mossycow

I am 65 so couldn't claim PIP, however,  I have just been given Attendance Allowance. I will use the scooter for travel into the town and at large shopping centres. I can walk short distances but my legs get weak very quickly.  I need the scooter to be available at all times, hence I will keep it in the car and use it for anything nut short distances.  I don't use buses so have that to face yet.

Many thanks,
    Tommy
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Hi @spennylad…..I've just come across your original post and your situation is uncannily similar to mine.  I had polio in 1950 at the age of 2 which left one leg more badly affected than the other but thanks to the staff and surgeons of the NHS I was able to lead a fairly normal life till about age 55.  Since then it's been downhill all the way unfortunately, with my GP reluctantly conceding that it is all down to post polio syndrome. 

I'm now 70 and fiercely held on to my independence until about 8 years ago I admitted defeat and got myself a Sterling Sapphire 2 scooter which was literally a godsend but as my weaknesses deteriorated I was unable to lift it into my car.  I then bought a second-hand Rascal Liteway which was easier to load and unload but had a much reduced range...still it was a good wee scooter and earned its keep.

Things are still going downhill and I now have a small[ish] MPV on Motability with a hoist fitted so that my latest scooter even though it is easily dismantled means that it goes straight into the boot without dismantling.  It's a Kymco Mini Comfort which comes with a 16 mile range, full suspension, plus front and rear lights, all at a reasonable price.

After initially being too stubborn to admit it I am now really happy to once again have full independence without dragging a carer along any time I go out.

I hope things go well with you in your quest.....it's good to know you're not alone.

DLTBGYD.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Mobility scooters are a man best friend after the dog. I bought mine on line from a dealer in St Austal. Free delivery had it 18 months a few puntures go off road dog walking. Bought a second boot portable one as got left behind on shopping trips taken it to Hyale and St Ives twice not ideal for the cobble streets. Getting a more off road scooter secon hand off a dealer who sells ex hire mobility scooters just got wait till my colour chose comes in again free dilivery. 
  • Spennylad
    Hi @exdvr
    Yes, our situation is very similar. I am going to Leicester tomorrow to have a look at the Li Tech scooter and if it's o.k. I will be buying one. It will be strange using a scooter but I have no choice, my legs are getting weaker and i can't walk long distances. I'll post again later to let everybody know the outcome.
    Thanks for your interest,
    Tommy
  • Spennylad
    Just to let you know I bought the Li Tech Marathon scooter.  It is very easy to take apart and store in the boot of the car. More importantly, the battery is very light, very easy to carry in and out of the house. Have now used it for 3 weeks and am very happy with it.
  • exdvr
    Well done @Spennylad.  I've looked up the details of your scooter and it gets excellent reviews and it's unusual in having li-on batteries and such an excellent range.  If only I could have lost about 20 kilos weight I would have considered it too.  Have a great time with it.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• susielockett
    susielockett Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Hi Spennylad, welcome to the community. One of my jobs when I was working was dealing with scooters. I worked in Warrington so am aware that they can be bought at numerous places. Was your query about the type of scooter?
    Susielockett
  • KatieC
    KatieC Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi, My name is KatieC and I’ve just signed up to the site having noticed it whilst looking at Scooters to buy.

i notice that last year the Li Tech Marathon was discussed. I’m looking at it am very interested in it, and wonder nearly a year on can anyone give me information having purchased and used one for a while.

Any information would be very grateful. This is the first time I’ve  had a scooter and don’t really want one, but I have MS and and my mobility is becoming very limited. I have been grudgingly using a wheelchair (but would rather try to walk) but worry about the toll it is taking on my husbands back, hence reluctantly deciding it’s time to buy a scooter.

it seems such a friendly site and I would be so grateful for any information from the experts here!!!

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @KatieC welcome to the community. How are you doing today? Thank you for sharing this with us.

Hopefully @Spennylad and our other members can reply with their experiences with the Li Tech scooter.

There are other options on the Living Made Easy website.

If you have any questions, please let us know. :)
  • Spennylad
    Hi @KatieC  I bought a Li Tech Marathon in June last year. I am delighted with the scooter. It is light and compact but very stable. It is great for going round shops and supermarkets. The battery lasts for ages and is quickly charged up. I keep mine in the car and it is easy to lift in and out when dismantled. My wife can do it on her own if I can't help. I bought mine from Careco in Leicester. I don't think anybody else sells them. Please feel free to ask anything further. Hope this has been useful.
    Tommy
  • KatieC
    KatieC Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you so much for your very quick response. I’m glad hear that you’re happy with the scooter.

Can I ask other question please. In the write up it says it can go up an incline of 6 degrees, and converting it to what we normally see as the steepness of hills when driving it’s equivalent to 10%, or 1:10.

How have you found it going up hills? Obviously it’s not designed to go up steep hills as it’s not a road scooter, but my main reason for wanting a scooter is to use on days out with my family where there may be gradients. Shopping in supermarkets or shopping centres will be no problem, but I’m starting to worry a lot about my husband as he has back problems and pushing me around in a wheelchair is not helping. He never ever complains but I feel so guilty and worry about him.

i would be so grateful for your thoughts as someone that is actually using the scooter rather than just read the brochure.

Many Thanks.

• Spennylad
    Hi @KatieC

I've been up and down many inclines and some have been more than 10% and the scooter has managed them with no problems.  Also the scooter has performed well off road as long as the surface is fairly flat.

Can I just say the main reason I got this scooter was the Lithium battery.  Before I bought it I hired a Pride Gogo scooter for 2 weeks while on holiday to test it(before this I didn't own a scooter).  That scooter was good but the main problem was the battery, it was a ton weight.  Carrying it between the car & house was a big strain on my back and my wife also struggled with it. I'm sure your husband will struggle with a normal battery.  The lithium battery is only 3 or 4 kgs and you can lift it with 2 fingers. 

Anything else, just ask.  Hope you get sorted.
    Tommy

• exdvr
    @KatieC…….I too have problems with degrees and percentages in relation to inclines but one piece of advice I was given was to zig-zag going up hills.  You will increase the distance travelled but it would very well decrease the steepness of the slope. Also puts less strain on the battery and the motor.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

Brightness