Do I appeal ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I appeal ?

Options
Paul1969
Paul1969 Community member Posts: 5 Connected
Hi, first time poster. I have reading the forums over the last few weeks.  A bit of my back ground history .  I have cerebral Palsy . This affects my walking and balance .  I also  suffer from severe OCD personality disorder . As a result when I get stressed I end up in a mania which can last several months i can end up spending thousands of pounds and getting heavily in to debt.
I recently had my PIP assement. The nurse on the whole was very fair and understood my problems . I called this morning to find out how my claim was proceeding . I was awarded the basic mobility award and nothing for the daily living. 
 This is where I would like some advice. As my mental condition does not affect me every day ( but I never know when I am going to have a relapse) . Would there be any point in going for a appeal ? I know that’s they look at how the condition affects you day to day. So from that point it does not affect me every day. However I am on medication to help keep it underdone firm if control.

Comments

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    If your MH affects you on more than 50% of days, then you should get PIP for it. I imagine that your CP affects your daily living too, no? Can you get some help to appeal: CAB, Welfare Rights, etc.?

I'd go for it, personally. Just be aware that they *could* take away that mobility award. 

You have to apply for Mandatory Reconsideration before a Tribunal appeal, and you need to do that within a month of the letter they sent. To appeal to tribunal, you have to send the form in within a month of the response to your MR. 

You'll probably lose at MR, but you never know. Only ~20% of decisions are for the claimant. However, Tribunal appeals are currently won by the claimant 71% of the time! 

I advise joining the benefitsandwork website. It costs £19 for a year, but it's well worth it. Their written guides are fantastic, and there's a great mod on the forums who seems to be able to answer every question! (He's currently on vacation until beginning of July.) I'm not associated with them, btw, just a very grateful user.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community, @Paul1969! So sorry to hear you didn't get the outcome you were hoping for, it must have been really frustrating for you. I'm sure our community members will share their thoughts with you, but if you do decide to appeal, this Scope guidance may be worth a read too.

https://youtu.be/4sOsiEFo-Ck
  • Paul1969
    Paul1969 Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Options
    My brown envelope finally arrived. As I had been told I was awarded the basic mobility award. That is fine and what I was expecting. As I am go months with out a mania attack I cannot say it affects me day to day. It is a big problem. But I could go 9 months with out a attack. So I cannot see me winning a appeal on that.  
     Can anyone tell me if this seems normal ? I have been awarded the PIP for 4 years and 2 months. This just seems a strange amount of time.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Paul1969 said:
    My brown envelope finally arrived. As I had been told I was awarded the basic mobility award. That is fine and what I was expecting. As I am go months with out a mania attack I cannot say it affects me day to day. It is a big problem. But I could go 9 months with out a attack. So I cannot see me winning a appeal on that.  
     Can anyone tell me if this seems normal ? I have been awarded the PIP for 4 years and 2 months. This just seems a strange amount of time.
    As PIP is about 50% of the time then you could struggle with a higher award but you will need to look at the descriptors to see where you could gain those extra points. If your anxiety is what you could suffer with for approx 3 months of the year then that doesn't count for PIP. Award lengths vary. Dont forget your review will be 1 year before the award is due to end.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.