Chronic pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Chronic pain

Options
Alassea
Alassea Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone, I’m hoping for someone to share their experiences. I have arthritis in multiple joints....both hands wrists and shoulders, both hips, my neck and several vertebrae....especially S1 at my sacrum. I have had one big toe fused but this didn’t reduce the pain by much so I’m wary of going the operation route if I can help it. I know pain medication doesn’t help for long, and you are just left with the side effects....however I have found amitriptyline makes it more bearable. What I’m asking really is whether anyone has found exercise helpful in managing their pain? Things have been getting worse recently as my back pain leads to pelvic pain (like sitting on the sharp end of a knife blade) and I’m getting bowel and bladder problems as well as difficulty walking. I work using a computer all day, and thepains in my hand and arm at the end of the day makes me feel a bit tearful, but I want to keep my job and enjoy my life as best I can. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Karen4ev
    Karen4ev Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi I have lupus and it causes chronic pain in all my muscles and joints. I take amytripyline but I also use fentenyl patches and I take pregabalin as well all of which have limited benefit. I’ve heard really good things about using cbd oil for chronic pain and sleep problems. Cbd oil is the legal form of cannabis that you can buy in this country. I’ve only recently started taking it and you have to build up your dose gradually. I’ve not noticed any pain benefit yet but it is starting to help with my sleep problems. They say it can take 3-4 months to fully see the benefits. I’m keeping my fingers crossed anyway cause I’ve tried everything else the pain clinic at my local hospital has told me that there’s nothing more than can do for me which is fantastic news (NOT) I left there in tears last time I went. I was retired from work on ill health 7 years ago. I’m sorry I’ve not got anything more positive to tell you. 
  • Karen4ev
    Karen4ev Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi I have lupus and it causes chronic pain in all my muscles and joints. I take amytripyline but I also use fentenyl patches and I take pregabalin as well all of which have limited benefit. I’ve heard really good things about using cbd oil for chronic pain and sleep problems. Cbd oil is the legal form of cannabis that you can buy in this country. I’ve only recently started taking it and you have to build up your dose gradually. I’ve not noticed any pain benefit yet but it is starting to help with my sleep problems. They say it can take 3-4 months to fully see the benefits. I’m keeping my fingers crossed anyway cause I’ve tried everything else the pain clinic at my local hospital has told me that there’s nothing more than can do for me which is fantastic news (NOT) I left there in tears last time I went. I was retired from work on ill health 7 years ago. I’m sorry I’ve not got anything more positive to tell you. 

Brightness