Advice about ESA please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice about ESA please

debbiedo49
debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
a couple of years ago my award for esa was stopped and not upheld at tribunal. Since then I’ve recently been awarded pip. My health condition has changed. I know the criteria is different but is it worth me applying for esa again as I’m on Jobseeker’s Allowance? The risk for me being losing jsa and other help I get with jsa and being moved on to universal credit. Thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

First thing to look at is what's in your area, if it's a full UC area then you won't be able to apply for ESA it will be UC. Check here.

If your area isn't a full UC area re-applying for ESA will depend on when you were last found fit for work. If it was after March 2015 then you won't be able to re-apply unless it's a worsening of the condition you previously claimed for or a completely new condition.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debbiedo49
    Thanks. Ok so it’s saying September 2018. All new claims will be UC. Also gives criteria for claiming esa too. Interesting about tax credits. Says you should claim tax credits before July 2018 or it becomes UC. As you should be better off on TC. A lot to digest. I think I need f2f advice. Cheers
  • debbiedo49
    I have all the same conditions apart from fibro which has been recently diagnosed and is a worsening condition for me. 
  • debbiedo49
    @Username_removed would really appreciate your advice or another advisors advice on applying for ESA from JSA in my case. I’m terrified of doing anything that puts my income in jeapordy. Due to the situation of being bounced on and off benefits in the past with gaps. 
  • poppy123456
    edited June 2018
    This may help.

New ESA claims can take about 3 weeks before payments start. In your case it maybe slightly longer because you were previously found fit for work, so there could possibly be a gap in your money.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • debbiedo49
    @Username_removed the tax credits came up when I used the postcode tracker for UC warning me about the dates. In my case I am hoping to get up to 16 hours employment as a goal and claim wtcredits. So for me its a better off thing. Im only working 6 at the moment and dont qualify. 

I cant see any reason why my gp would not give me fit notes.

The deterioration is evidenced by my gp who hae me as chronic pain for years and now its fibromyalgia. Ive had my meds increased to help with worsening symptoms and pain management. My gp supported me with evidence for pip as well. 
  • poppy123456
    You can't claim WTC and ESA together, if your ESA will be Income Related. You won't be able to claim ESA and work 16 hours per week.  There's permitted work, while claiming ESA providing the work you do doesn't contradict the reason for your ESA claim. Permitted work has to be less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £125.50 per week.
  • debbiedo49
    Ah @poppy123456 thank you. So it looks like I stay on jsa and work towards more part time hours up to 16 to get wtc or stay as I am on jsa and 6 hours part time work and remain 1 pound better off. The pip award I am waiting on will help of course. Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    If you receive daily living PIP then you'll have a disability premium of £33.55 (single person) added to your JSA.
  • debbiedo49
    I was awarded points for mobility not daily living standard

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.