Just had home assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just had home assessment

Options
Starlite59
Starlite59 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi Everyone
I have just had a home visit for my PIP claim.
The lady was here for 1hr 16 mins
 In that time she asked questions regarding my
health and how it affects me. How my medications do or do not help.How often I take them and what they are for and they she typed the whole list out on her comp. She also asked me for proof of ID e.g. passport, Birth certificate and or Marriage certificate.
I was then asked how well I got around the e.g. stairs and if I had any aids to help me. Even down getting dressed, if I could get in and out of a bath. Questions on cooking food,making hot drinks,preparing food,setting food. Going food shopping ,carrying heavy items. Travelling on public transport and making travel plans. If I went alone anywhere,hobbies and interests. Distance I could walk,eyesight.Money management e.g. banking and dealing with bills.
After all the questions I was then asked to do some simple movements,squatting,bending from the waist down,movements with arms above the head,behi d the back to the side and standing on one leg,neck range movement checks where also done.
I hope I have not gone on to long and that this .night help others going through it or wait I got do so.

Comments

• Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Starlite59, I'm also new but have had great comfort in reading what others have posted. My story starts as this,up until 2013 I was fine, had a busy life worked full time,married and taking care of 2 grown up children life was actually GREAT. I had to have an hysterectomy in 2013 and bizarrely it triggered everything off. I'd been asthmatic but developed a chronic cough creating asthma attacks, the pain they thought was from scarring on my side was actually disc bulging,trapped nerves and arthritis. I've diverticulitis and arthritis in my hands,knees and feet but to top it all I'm left incontinent from my operation. I had to give up work and applied for pip and was on esa, I new nothing really about pip such as what it was like to apply but I did use CAB for both pip and esa. I didn't know you could request the hcp report but ended up with standard care and mobility, also work related esa my pip assessor was fine asked all you've said but I declined most of the movement part, the esa was terrible she just lied basically all the way through or should I say distorted too. This time round was different I realised it was about how it affects ME and not the disability. I had a lovely assessor for esa this time she basically told me after a 15 mins assessment that she new I couldn't work and not to worry in a few days I was informed by letter I was in the support group. Since I now have a OT and have had further aids fitted at home and need a wheelchair most of the time I felt time had come to ask for a re assessment with pip. Oh my lord,  Feb applied ,June 5th had assessment lady was fine, asked for report from dwp states 12 for mobility and 14 for care but still awaiting dm result. I've made myself ill from worry I wish I had never asked for a re assessment everyday I feel sick it's an horrendous time. All that you had I had but always make sure it's how it affects YOU and maybe ask for the assessor report too. I don't know if it's better because I've read the dm can change if they want. Sorry this is sooo long I just wanted to help anyone if I can. Good luck Starlite59
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Starlite59 and @Gwendoline1, and a warm welcome to you both! It's great to have you here on the community.

Thank you for sharing your experiences- it can be offer great comfort and help to those who have assessments coming up. Really hope you get the outcomes you're hoping for, and do let us know if we can be of any assistance!
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Options
    Hiya Pippa Scope, Thank you so much, yes it really can be a great comfort and thanks for the offer of support.
  • Starlite59
    Starlite59 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome. 
    I wanted to put it up to let others know what to expect
     I will be going through it again very soon with my son who has Autisim/Aspergers. He is 31 and had just lost his speech through it
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi

Welcome to you both, thanks so much for your posts.

I had my assessment, it was carried out by an OT, who was kind.

She allowed my wife to help me answer her questions.

I declined any physical examination, as I was in agony.

She put in her report that I was unfit to be examined.

I got enhanced rate for both elements,  for 5 years.

Best wishes

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.