shoes to fit around my child's splints? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

shoes to fit around my child's splints?

Rahima
Rahima Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm looking to purchase shoes to fit around my child's splints. Wondering if you could help me with any recommendations for websites to look at where I can purchase from.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rahima.

Good morning and welcome to our community. 

Have you tried to get these on the NHS?????

I used to work at an NHS Rehabilitation center who used to make & fit these.

Please let me know if I can help you further with this???? 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rahima and a warm welcome to the community!

Is it AFO splints that you are trying to find shoes for? I have worn AFO's on and off since the age of 7 so may be able to help! I have found that getting shoes one or two sizes bigger can always help. Also, if you can find shoes (like clarks) that do a wide- fit option then this can give the splint more room. In terms of the style of shoe, lace up can mean that the shoe can be made wider. Also, velcro trainers can be helpful- even if you add velcro on to the shoe! Similarly, if you take the insole out of a shoe (probably not allowed but it works!) then it gives you a bit of extra space. 

Hope this helps! :)
    Scope

• niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Hi I have cp and have worn splints on and off since I was a toddler, trainers are the easiest to get splints into. Particularly canvas or fabric ones, as they have a lot more ‘give’ in them than leather ones and I’ve found they don’t pinch like leather. Any trainers that are wide are easier, such as skate shoes. Walking/hiking boots or shoes are also good as they’re designed to be roomy and they’re grippy and waterproof for winter. As for school/smart shoes, they’re harder to find! You really have to shop around, at the moment I wear piedro boots, but they’ve recently changed their styles and they are very expensive. You could try your NHS orthotics or physio, but as budgets are so tight, it’s very hard to get them.
    Another tip on getting splints into shoes is use a shoehorn, the splint slides in easier as it’s plastic on plastic and you won’t break the back of the shoes down.
    Hope this helps!

Brightness