Anyone else with Menieres? Feel very alone and isolated — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone else with Menieres? Feel very alone and isolated

Options
anitadean
anitadean Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have recently been diagnosed with Menieres and feel very alone and isolated with this condition. Is there anybody else in my area who also has this as there does not seem to be any help groups in Milton Keynes.

I dont seem to be able to get any help even though I cant walk very far without having an acute attack of vertigo and have gone from being very independent and outgoing to virtually a prisoner in my own home as I am too anxious to go out without having someone with me. When I am out I walk as though I am drunk so you can imagine what looks I get and if I have an acute attack of vertigo I have to sit on the ground close my eyes until it passes which can last from anything like 30 mins plus which if alone would leave me very vulnerable.

Before having this I worked full time but have been unable to work for obvious reasons since January this year thankfully my company are being very supportive but as I am on Statutory Sick Pay dont seem to be able to access any financial help to allow me to be as independent as possible.

In America Menieres is an automatic disability as it has no cure and no treatment but in the UK it seems that it isnt even recognised as anything Ive had to fight to even get a diagnosis since 2010. I suppose I should be grateful for a diagnosis but some help and support and not have the door closed everytime I ask for help would be appreciated.        

Comments

Brightness