How can I get back into fishing? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can I get back into fishing?

Options
danish
danish Community member Posts: 12 Connected
Up until about 8 years ago I was able to participate but as most fisheries insist on not moving the fish out of the water which I am unable to do then I have not gone. I miss it and wish there was some way of continuing this sport. I can not walk unaided and have to use a mobility scooter to get around. If anyone has a suggestion on how I can get back to this sport I would appreciate advice 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this @danish, hopefully our community will be able to offer some suggestions. I'm also tagging in @fishingmum in case there's anything she can recommend!
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi there @danish sounds more like fresh water fishing than sea fishing that I do.
    It depends on where you are, what facilities are near by and your general mobility levels.
    You said you use a mobility scooter, is there any way you could change where you fish e.g. from a pier to make it easier, that way more accessible to yourself and anyone with you. Also consider still fishing but different styles, I do sea fishing. I can go off of rocks, stand at a pier, go from a boat, how close are you to the sea, that way rules of not taking fish out to unhook do not apply.

It depends on which are you are in as well, if there aer stocked lochs around you, get in touch with manangement servies, explain your circumstances and see what they can do, they might say no off the abt, but put it in writing, most of these types of places rely on repeat custom and word of mouth, so put in the letter that if they could accomodate you, you would be happy to recommend them to other fishers who have similar problems.

@Pippa_Scope is there somewhere we could use as a recommendation page for companies willing to assist disabled users in different areas that we could say to companies, for example I am going to recommend you on scope great working practices?
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thanks for this @fishingmum, some great suggestions. And that sounds like something that could be really valuable: I'll definitely pass that on and discuss it with the rest of the team! Thanks again!
  • fishingmum
    Options
    @Pippa_Scope they way a company could see it is free advertisement and offers a reason to be more disability friendly, even maybe having some badges made up for sale, saying memebr of scope, same as having small window stickers saying mentioned on scope or something like that allowing people to see they are friendlier to disabilites and it could be better to chose that venue etc. Actually I saw an app a while ago for mobile phones to show where to get water, or hotels to stay at, maybe something could be designed by way of app for Scope friendly venues. Technology where would we be without it.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Options
    I'd be lost for sure, @fishingmum! I think there are a couple of schemes similar to this in place already (DisabledGo springs to mind), but there's certainly scope for incorporating the community in a similar way- I'll keep you updated! 
  • fishingmum
    Options
    @Pippa_Scope I have never heard of disabledgo before, so I clicked the link and they have nothing in my area lol. I will try and mention it to a few local business here to see if they can add themselves on to it. Thanks for that :)
  • danish
    danish Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Options
    Thank you every one giving the information. It is heart warming to see people getting involved and assisting each other. I will look into what has been suggested but please keep on going with the help
  • fishingmum
    Options
    @Pippa_Scope if you do get someone who can do an app, ideas for names could be scopability or scope it out. I ahve had fun thinking about the possibilities of this :)

Brightness