ESA Daughter - months without any money — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Daughter - months without any money

JuliaB
JuliaB Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi,
sorry if this is repeated somewhere but I’m tired of searching the Internet for a straight answer. My Daughter was thrown out of university- for want of a better phrase- due to having depression since landing there and struggling. Moved to Kent to live with myself and my Husband - claimed ESA March 15th assesses May 9th - put in the support group - has not received a penny to date ! Rang countless times and last week I was informed we had claimed contributions based instead of income - I dispute this as I know she hasn’t made any contributions to qualify ! So told no award letter as no money due - another form sent last week to us to complete - again - to claim income based !! I’m at my wits end as my Daughter has received not a penny since March 15th - Is this usual? Is she entitled to income based as living at home we’re both myself and her step father work? I do hope so, as she is classed unfit for work for the next 12 months - surely they should have known which type of ESA she needed due to finishing University!? I feel they have messed up and passing the blame onto us - I doubt they have a full scanned claim form in front of them to show me my ‘error’ !?? Thank you in advance 

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Try seeking advise from CAB they maybe able to help your daughter.

Id keep calling them back because Iv had different answers to the same question so keep calling DWP until you actually get the information required. Ask to speak to a team leader or manager.

Also emailing or calling your MP might help you get a speedier answer.

Sorry I can give you a definite answer to your questions but I hope this helps.

• JuliaB
    Hi Susan, Thank you for replying, I am phoning again on Monday to see if this other form has been looked at yet. It’s soul destroying 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I am sure that, if you ring often enough, you will get a whole list of excuses. They are a very inefficient part of the system generally so I am afraid that many mistakes are likely.

I agree with contacting the CAB and hope you manage to make progress.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • JuliaB
    Thank you Topkitten - It’s very frustrating, and a different tale each time we manage to get through ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.