ESA, P.I.P and student finance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA, P.I.P and student finance?

Options
thegirlwiththecrown
thegirlwiththecrown Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello everyone, this is my first post here and im hoping someone with abit of experiance can help me. 

Im 25 and single mother with a 1 year old boy, ive got my results today and im over the moon about getting into uni. 

Now ive applied for studant finance, the disabled studant allowance ect. Ive got an assessment for the disabled studant allowance and ive got the higher maintance loan. 

Im on IR esa (support element) however i took a loan out a while back so i currently recieve 195 per fornight and 220 pip (basic care) every 4 weeks. I get housing too but I have to top it up my 110 a month.

Im worrying how my loans will affect my income? 

Has anyone any experiance with this? 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @thegirlwiththecrown, and a warm welcome to the community!

A huge congratulations for your results and for getting into uni! Hopefully our community members and benefits advisors will be able to help with your finance questions soon.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi thegirlwiththecrown,

Please have a look at this fact sheet as reading this will hopefully explain your query:

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/individuals/education/frequently-asked-questions-students

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi thegirlwiththecrown

A "run of the mill" benefits checker, such as the one on the Scope website, doesn't cover this situation, but the students union where your daughter will be  studying may well have a special student-accessible programme for doing benefits checks on site.This will show for example what combination of ESA, universal credit, income support, housing benefit is payable. Are you moving house to be near your uni? 

Various regulations will apply. In ESA, student finance is taken into account across the academic year; in areas where the new benefit universal credit (UC) can be claimed, the student loan is  taken into account month by month - so less is taken into account in the term time but more over the summer vacation. Whatever student finance for an undergraduate is taken into account whether or not the finance is applied for.

Students in a universal credit areas aren't automatically accepted as having limited capability for work, and have to attend a work capability assessment to establish this, but this may not affect you, as you are already in the  already in the support group.

I hope this points you in the right direction.

Best wishes

Gill_Scope
  • tayajay145
    tayajay145 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi to the girlwiththecrown, 
    Hope this helps as a student I feel that you must be aware that what ever you receive via student finance that it will be deducted from your esa plus also you coursing and council tax may be affected. This is because they see sfe loans as an income. I know this as it happened to me. My benefit went down to less than 40 pounds a fortnight and i had to pay full rent I would check everything first with the relevant departments then you with be in the know. Also tell esa at the earliest opportunity if you start uni. Don't leave it to the last moment. Hope this helps 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi

You need expert advice, that is bespoke to your circumstances.

i suggest you call Disability Rights UK, on their Disabled Students Helpline tel: 0330 995 0414 Tues & Thurs 11am to 1pm.

Keep us informed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.