Fibromyalgia - Recognized by PIP? Is mobility ever awarded? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromyalgia - Recognized by PIP? Is mobility ever awarded?

onajoe
onajoe Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, is Fibromyalgia recognised as s chronic condition by PIP? If so is mobility ever awarded?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi onajoe

A very big welcome to you into our site/community.

Please please let me look into that one for you today.

I will update you as so as I. can if that is ok ???
  • MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    Hi @onajoe:

Welcome!  Thanks for getting involved in our Online Community.

Have a look at our discussions on PIP/DLA and on Invisible Impairments.

Also, see the PIP frequently asked questions:

Great to have you here!

• MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    @BenefitsTrainingCo Do you have any further advice for @onajoe? Thanks.
  • anaqi
    anaqi Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
    As far as I know with PIP they don't take your diagnosis into consideration, it's how your condition affects your ability to do certain tasks that matters.  If your Fibro is so severe that you can't walk 20 metres then you probably would qualify for enhanced mobility.  If you can walk 200 metres or more than you probably wouldn't get mobility.

The Benefits and Work website has a PIP self test that you might find helpful.  You can do to calculate what points you might score in an assessment.  You need to get 8 points for standard rate and 12 points for enhanced rate.  This is just a self test though and is no guarantee that you would be awarded the benefit

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-self-test
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @anaqi is right, it is about how your impairment effects you rather than the diagnosis itself.  The self test is a great resource to try. :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @onajoe

Eligibility for PIP is much more about how your condition affects you rather than the diagnosis itself.  However, assessors, DWP and tribunals do take the condition itself into consideration if it is one known to cause disabilities, especially a degenerative one.  My PIP tribunal, which I won, placed a lot of emphasis on the medical reports about my rheumatoid arthritis, though the tribunal members also grilled me about my walking ability and ability to bathe, dress and prepare food.
  • jennybabe1967
    jennybabe1967 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Yes it is how the fibromyalgia affects you in your every day life mine affects me a lot 
  • kelly92
    kelly92 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi I am taking my PIP decision for fibro to tribunal, after my mandatory reconsideration was rejected with no award. Does anyone know any tips to help me turn this decisions around at the hearing. I am still in the middle of completing the tribunal forms at the moment, but am trying to prepare myself. 
    They do not seem to take fibro seriously but by condition is getting worse and unbearable
    Does anyone have any help or advise with this? 

• markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    What you need to do is get your doctor to refer you to a occupational therapist who can get you mobility aids to help with everyday tasks if you have fibro you will have plenty of time to get this done it will help at your tribunal as it could be up to 8 months wait for a tribunal hearing they do not write to you until your hearing date is near
  • btcraft1
    btcraft1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited March 2018
    I just had my tribunal in January, I cannot walk 20 metres and have to use a wheelchair, which I cannot mobilise myself when we are out of the house.  Unfortunately if you can get around you won't qualify for it.  I'm now back on full mobility as I should of been from the assessment. 

@Kelly92 - it's not about recognising fibro, it's about how it affects you, that's all the tribunal are interested in. Do you have many aids around your house? These all help towards an award.
  • ted2608
    ted2608 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    so my wife as not got the full mobility so our car goes back 6th july but she as been told she has fibro so what is my next step as they have also dropped the other part of mobility to standard rate we like all of  lots of others are now struggling so where do i go from i need help
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    ted2608 said:
    so my wife as not got the full mobility so our car goes back 6th july but she as been told she has fibro so what is my next step as they have also dropped the other part of mobility to standard rate we like all of  lots of others are now struggling so where do i go from i need help
    That's the problem. Even with identical conditions it's important that you explain fully what the impact is and how you describe it on the from. A poorly completed form VERSUS a good form will result in a different result.
    Put it another way the impact on my life when you add up all of the difficulties I face from all of the conditions and drugs I take was not properly described on the forms hence I used to get 0 points every time and had to appeal. Whereas someone with a less complicated and non life limiting condition but has had assistance with the claim and has a claim form fully completed is more likely to get an immediate award and probably at the enhanced rate for up to 10 years.
  • Quinlan1
    Quinlan1 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Like a lucky dip if you can get help with the forms your ok like me dead duck  tried 3 places no luck forms had to go I scared so you do,it a little money is better then  none 
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I got someone from citizens advice to help me fill my form in. I didn't think I would get it but to my surprise I did. I am not sure I would have got pip if I had filled the form in by myself.
  • Pipquestions2
    Pipquestions2 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    ilovecats said:
    onajoe said:
    Hi, is Fibromyalgia recognised as s chronic condition by PIP? If so is mobility ever awarded?
    Frequently. Fibromyalgia is one of the most commonly assessed conditions
    I was just coming here to post that you've said this in other threads!

But just because you have fibromyalgia doesn't mean you will get PIP. It's probably very likely but you would need to look at the descriptors and see how they reflect your difficulties.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019

I was just coming here to post that you've said this in other threads!

But just because you have fibromyalgia doesn't mean you will get PIP. It's probably very likely but you would need to look at the descriptors and see how they reflect your difficulties.
    I think the reason why @ilovecats has said this previously is because it's not the first time the question has been asked. Ilovecats didn't say that a claim for PIP would be successful. Of course it depends how a person conditions affect them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • btcraft1
    btcraft1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    After 11 years of having fibromyalgia and ME. I am now on full mobility and care after last tribunal.  I'm useless at filling in forms so always go to tribunal which is best if you don't get accepted straight away.  Right from the start back in 2008 i was awarded DLA lower rate care and mobility. It has gone up as the years have progressed.  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.