PIP review with depression and autism — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP review with depression and autism

mountainrose
mountainrose Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I was awarded PIP in 2015 after being denied twice and asking for reconsiderations. I have now received the PIP review letter. I’m wondering if I could have some advice.

I have autism, and anxiety and depression. In 2015 my depression was at its worse. Now i have been on medication and tried lots of therapies so my depression has improved through daily maintenance. I have come to look at the review questions and I find I can’t tick ‘no change’ in some of them as through hard work my depression has improved so I find different aspects easier now. Some questions are still ‘no change’ as my autism isn’t something that will ever go away of course.

My depression has fluctuated during my life, and I still have bad times but they don’t last nearly as long. I’m worried if I write that in some categories I find them easier now, that I will lose PIP entirely, even for my autism. I’m worried what if my depression gets bad again. 

What should I do? Should I say things are easier and risk losing PIP? So if my depression gets worse in the future, I would need to make a new claim for PIP?

Has anyone ever received PIP just for autism and anxiety before?

Thank you for any input!

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi mountainrose
    I would explain the fluctuations in your depression due to medication and therapy
    tell them you still have bad patches and that you are unable to predict when they will happen.I would be honest and tell them you also have times when you can manage o.k.I know you may risk losing out but there are still areas you will score such as help with therapy etc.It May be that the Autism alone will qualify you.If you need help filling out the forms I would make an appointment with CAB for help.Good luck 
        Debsidoo.x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.