ESA going up? Why is this? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA going up? Why is this?

Jace1951
Jace1951 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi, my brother has just been awarded pip, and also gets esa, but we have been told his esa payments will go up we're a bit puzzled with this can anyone help please

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jace1951 and a warm welcome to the community!
    I hope you are able to get some answers regarding this and if you need anything else then please do let me know!
    Scope

• smokeyjoey
    smokeyjoey Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    He will receive both severe disability premium and enhanced disability premium, it usually adds an extra 60 a week 
  • Jace1951
    How long does this usually take to fix out , thanks
  • Jace1951
    Hi, can anyone help me on the previous question,, thanks
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Jace1951,

This should be pretty quick. I'd say two to three weeks. And depending on when the PIP award goes back to, there may be some arrears (backpay) of the extra income-related ESA.

What he actually gets will depend on his circumstances:

• severe disability premium if awarded the daily living component of PIP, and he lives alone, & no one gets carer's allowance for him
    • enhanced disability premium if he gets the enhanced daily living component of PIP.

It's possible there won't be any increase if he gets only the mobility component of PIP, or the standard rate of the daily living component and someone get carer's allowance for him, for example. So it could be he gets:

no extra at all
    an extra 16.40 a week
    an extra 64.30 a week
    or an extra 80.70 a week.

It will depend on all the circumstances.

Finally, this all assumes he can get income-related ESA at all. If he gets contributory ESA and has too much in savings (over £16,000), or has a partner who works 24 hours a week or more, the award of PIP will not increase his ESA.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Jace1951
    Thanks for the update, he has standard rate of daily living component and enhanced rate of mobility component, so can you please tell me if he's entitled to more money,, werwe still a bit confused,, thank you
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    Hi Jane because he gets middle care .it will be the disability premium on top of the essence. This will get back dated too his phone. P.I. p claim .
  • Jace1951
    Will he get a letter notifying him,some people saying yes and some saying no,, totally confused,, thanks
  • Jace1951
    Will he get a letter notifying him, totally confused, thanks
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited July 2018
    If he lives alone and if anyone does not recieve carers Allowance? Also he must be on income related ESA. Standered and or enhanced PIP care, he will recieve it. You can phone ESA number on his letter and and ask for IS10 form to be filled in on the phone or they will send a letter out and if accepted will recieve backpay when PIP started.

I did mine on the phone and was added straight away.

⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Jace1951
    Will the letter come automatically or will we need to phone,, thanks
    Jace1951 said:
    Will the letter come automatically or will we need to phone,, thanks
    @Jace1951 as I explained above... But here it is again. "You can phone ESA number on his letter and and ask for IS10 form to be filled in on the phone "
    ⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• Jace1951
    We might have a little problem, my daughter sometimes stays there with him, but she does nothing for him, it's me that goes round and deals with him everyday
    Jace1951 said:
    We might have a little problem, my daughter sometimes stays there with him, but she does nothing for him, it's me that goes round and deals with him everyday
    @Jace1951
    If he is the sole tenant on the rent book, or rents the property in his name only and lives alone and he is the only one on the electrol role that's fine.

Then you or your daughter stays or to help him that's fine as you don't live there.

⬇️

• Jace1951
    Thank you very much
    Jace1951 said:
    Thank you very much

@Jace1951 your welcome. Let us know how you get on.
    ⬇️

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you very much to everyone for their responses! @Jace1951
    I hope this has helped and please do let us know how it goes :)
    Scope

• Jace1951
    Well unfortunately, he's not entitled to the extra because he is on contribution based and not income based, which we didn't realize
    Jace1951 said:
    Well unfortunately, he's not entitled to the extra because he is on contribution based and not income based, which we didn't realize
    @Jace1951 At least you now know. Sorry to hear. Good luck and thanks for letting us know.
    ⬇️

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.