Can I claim DLA for my daughter? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I claim DLA for my daughter?

Allycrazyhorse
Allycrazyhorse Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi.. Just a puzzling question. I am a carer for my daughter whom is type 1 diabetic I also have a daughter of 13 whom I've had a lot of trouble threw out primary school, knowing she was struggling etc I went to doctors to education boards to be told that I go to doctor then doctor tell me education board she finally got a assement threw rhthe school and has all traits af austuim but when they finally found out for me that she was dyslexia they told me that as she has been diagnosed with dyslexia that she cannot be assessed again.. So I gave up and finally after 5yrs of knowing my child was struggling at school she got extra help at school with her dyslexia n now she has moved on to high school n is still receiving help at school does anyone know can I claim dla for her as she still can't tell time etc etc signs n if i was to give it ago where do I find out the evidence to prove she was assessed and is dyslexica tbh.. I gave up with getting her assessed with the austuim n if she was to be really put on the spot for me to get help with extras for my daughter as I am a single parent.. Are r kids entitled to dla for dyslexica.. Many help would be useful n appreciate 

Comments

• feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    If her SEN supports that she cannot maintain self care then it's likely you'd get it. You could try anyway, check out the criteria for it and see if it applies to her.
    I've found that kids get PIP easily because they system directly supports that they are entitled to it.
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    Sorry, the topic does day DLA as well.
  • Allycrazyhorse
    Thanks guys just baffled n been struggling threw out the yrs she is gets the sen care threw school.. She is 13 but isn't l like any other 13 yrold she is behind her age group. I'm grateful 0f all the info as threw out the years I was getting hit from brick wall to brick... Tyxx

• Zeezee
    Zeezee Community member Posts: 78 Pioneering
    DLA for children is about how much more care a child needs in comparison to another child their age. This includes physical,emotional, physiological. So if you have to for example spend 15 mins explaining something that you would normally spend 2mins explaining to other 13yr olds this does count. DLA is awarded without formal diagnosis. But always fill the forms out based on your daughters worst day in mind. I would also suggest you get help from CAB as claiming anything from DWP can be a minefield and very stressful. Good luck x
  • Allycrazyhorse
    Many thanks... There is so much much more I could write but I would a a4 block file filled on the bad days.. Just wanted to try n find out the jist of it all if you get me.. Thanks guys all information is appreciated xx
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Allycrazyhorse,

Have you had a look at our advice page on Disabled Living Allowance? DLA can help children who are under 16 and have difficulty walking or need much more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability. It has two parts: care and mobility.

You can also find out more about DLA and eligibility on the government website.

I hope this helps!

Liam
    Liam
  • Allycrazyhorse
    Thank u liam all advice is appreciated I might aswell have a look into it give it a go if I get knocked bk im knocked bk lol its the 1st time Ive been hit of many of a wall lol.. You guys r so helpful on this can't thank you enuffxx
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    With children DLA is wholly about what type of care is needed for your child. So if you have to spend time making sure that your child with a physical impairment has safely crossed the road then include that on the form. There are two parts that make up the benefit- care and mobility. Some disabled children have high rate care and low rate mobility because they have severe mental impairment. Others who are not quite so vulnerable receive low rate care and high rate mobility instead. My son gets middle level care and high rate mobility (he qualified on four out of seven considerations listed). Go into lots of details on the form. Make sure that you answer all of the questions properly too. Include examples to back up your claim. No point being honest. This is when lying comes in handy here. Good luck. Remember to seek help if you need to. 
  • Allycrazyhorse
    Many thanks... Xx
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    No point being honest. This is when lying comes in handy here.
    Is that your philosophy in life? If you can't get what you want by being honest you would lie to get it that way instead?
    I do hope that you don't have any children, I dread to think of what you teach them.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.